MMC MMC is offline

Default Bimini tops

"SteveB" wrote in message
news
I, well, my wife actually, wants a bimini top for my Lund 16. Comes in at
around $500 for frame and canvas.

I'm a metalworker, and have a welder and an industrial Singer walking foot
sewing machine. A friend of mine used to do boat work, and I've seen him
make lots of tops. Not a lot to them, actually.

Hardware seems to be the costliest thing, all being stainless steel. The
tubing was probably special, too.

Went looking for boat part the other day, and noticed some hardware, and
IIRC, it was for 7/8" OD tube.

In all of your vast experiences, what would be your opinion of making one
of these out of conduit, or a light wall round tube? Possibly custom
making some of the hardware pieces out of steel that I can have powder
coated. The canvas could be Sunbrella, or even the cheap shadecloth
material at Home Depot is decent shade. I have a couple of big
shadecloths of that material, just had to resew the edges after about four
years of 24/7 outdoors exposure.

Anyone ever do this type of DIY project?

TIA

Steve

Half that:
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|5948|296194|606042|814411&id=605724
If your kids don't use it for monkey bars, you drop and wrap it when
trailering and protect it from the sun when not in use, it'll last a few
years.