Default Bimini tops

wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 08:08:22 -0400, Wizard of Woodstock
wrote:

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 06:50:15 -0500, Richard Casady
wrote:

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 07:12:44 -0400, Wizard of Woodstock
wrote:

Conduit? Not so much. It's pretty brittle metal - akin to white metal
actually.

That is nuts. EMT, electrical metallic tubing, is steel. It is far
from brittle, you can bend it any way you want. What is properly
called conduit is plain old pipe, the kind that carries water and gas.

Sorry dude - EMT is thin walled flat cold rolled low grade
non-hardened steel.

It's basically white metal.

It is still far from brittle. I use a lot of EMT for various things
but it sucks around salt water. the real issue here.

The nearest salt water to me is 350 miles away at the Great Salt Lake, or
Los Angeles. Rust and corrosion are NO issue here. Maybe where you're at,
but not here.

Steve

Yawn...
http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth/bimtop1.html

JR

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 22:24:39 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

I, well, my wife actually, wants a bimini top for my Lund 16. Comes in at
around $500 for frame and canvas.

I'm a metalworker, and have a welder and an industrial Singer walking foot
sewing machine. A friend of mine used to do boat work, and I've seen him
make lots of tops. Not a lot to them, actually.

Hardware seems to be the costliest thing, all being stainless steel. The
tubing was probably special, too.

Went looking for boat part the other day, and noticed some hardware, and
IIRC, it was for 7/8" OD tube.

In all of your vast experiences, what would be your opinion of making one of
these out of conduit, or a light wall round tube? Possibly custom making
some of the hardware pieces out of steel that I can have powder coated. The
canvas could be Sunbrella, or even the cheap shadecloth material at Home
Depot is decent shade. I have a couple of big shadecloths of that material,
just had to resew the edges after about four years of 24/7 outdoors
exposure.

Anyone ever do this type of DIY project?

TIA

Steve

HOME PAGE:

wrote:

Conduit? Not so much. It's pretty brittle metal - akin to white metal
actually.

That is nuts. EMT, electrical metallic tubing, is steel. It is far
from brittle, you can bend it any way you want. What is properly
called conduit is plain old pipe, the kind that carries water and gas.

Sorry dude - EMT is thin walled flat cold rolled low grade
non-hardened steel.

It's basically white metal.

White metals contain things like lead, tin, antimony, zinc. No iron,
no carbon.

It is mild steel, like about 95% of the steel in use. As in autos,
buildings, bridges, ships. You want to be different and call steel
white metal, you have a problem. It about as brittle as bubble gum.

Casady
HK HK is offline

wrote:

Conduit? Not so much. It's pretty brittle metal - akin to white metal
actually.
That is nuts. EMT, electrical metallic tubing, is steel. It is far
from brittle, you can bend it any way you want. What is properly
called conduit is plain old pipe, the kind that carries water and gas.

Sorry dude - EMT is thin walled flat cold rolled low grade
non-hardened steel.

It's basically white metal.

White metals contain things like lead, tin, antimony, zinc. No iron,
no carbon.

It is mild steel, like about 95% of the steel in use. As in autos,
buildings, bridges, ships. You want to be different and call steel
white metal, you have a problem. It about as brittle as bubble gum.

Casady

Apparently you weren't told that SW Tom knows more about science and
technology than any living human being, and when you argue with him, he
goes into "wookie mode."

If you want a giggle, ask him to tell you about the gph estimates he has
for his Ranger with the etec. They defy all known laws of thermodynamics.

--
The modern GOP is little more than an army of moral absolutists led by a
gang of moral nihilists.

wrote:

[...]

You made 1 tiny mistake. He definitely knows more about science,
boating, boats,fishing,photography and probably a whole lot of other
things than you do. He is a well rounded individual as compared to you,
who is, well, sorta, flat, dry, and uninteresting.

wrote

If you really think EMT will work for you a 1/2" bender head is about
$20 with a handle and the EMT is a couple bucks a stick. I would still
spray cold galvanizing or paint on the cut ends and maybe even paint
the whole pipe after you bend it up to catch spots that crack in the
galvanizing. In fresh water it might actually hold up fairly well.
The cover itself is still the tricky part but not necessarily that
tough if you can sew.
My cover has zippers so it installs easily on the assembled frame but
if you are willing to thread the pipe through sewn pockets and then
assemble the brackets and hinged parts it won't need them.

Just for cost and ease of construction, I've just about settled on the EMT
idea. I really liked the visqueen patterning and then transferring to
cloth. Just need to get to a supplier and get the straps and plastic
latches. Will be starting on a greenhouse soon with woven poly, so will be
doing lots of sewing. I've got an big Singer 111W155 walking foot machine
that will do the job.

Just so many projects to do and so little time. Grandsons here for two
weeks (4 and 6) so we'll just use sunscreen instead of sunshade for this
visit.

Steve

"JR North" wrote in message

Yawn...
http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth/bimtop1.html

JR

Darn fine job. I had a friend who did a ton of work at Lake Mead, and your
job is right up there with the quality of his stuff. So, bottom line, about
how much do you figure it cost? You probably say somewhere in there, but
I'm just back from a trip, and am going through a lot of e mails and posts.
Indulge me, please. $3500 top end bid, eh? Wow.

Steve

wrote:

Conduit? Not so much. It's pretty brittle metal - akin to white metal
actually.

That is nuts. EMT, electrical metallic tubing, is steel. It is far
from brittle, you can bend it any way you want. What is properly
called conduit is plain old pipe, the kind that carries water and gas.

Sorry dude - EMT is thin walled flat cold rolled low grade
non-hardened steel.

It's basically white metal.

White metals contain things like lead, tin, antimony, zinc. No iron,
no carbon.

It is mild steel, like about 95% of the steel in use. As in autos,
buildings, bridges, ships. You want to be different and call steel
white metal, you have a problem. It about as brittle as bubble gum.

Casady

I'm a welder. Have been since 1974. I know a little. You sure are adamant
about terms. Read my lips: Conduit will work fine for the purpose of a
bimini top provided it is not used in a salt water environment. You can
call it white metal, brown metal, pink metal, blue metal, orange metal, grey
metal, metal, puce metal, magenta metal, and it doesn't change the fact that
it will perform satisfactorily, although it will be a little heavier than
aluminum, and a little harder to get or make hardware for.

Hope this helps you get over your terminology neurosis.

Steve

wrote:

[...]

Exactly which "laws of thermodynamics" does Tom's GPH claims defy?

Bimini tops worth considering hk General 1 January 5th 09 09:24 PM
Bimini Tops Corsair23 General 7 October 26th 07 03:21 AM
best way to secure sit-on-tops donquijote1954 General 21 September 18th 07 05:29 PM
Navy tops/covers ? Boat Building 0 November 8th 04 06:07 PM
refinishing counter tops Cindy Ballreich Cruising 8 January 16th 04 05:07 PM