posted to rec.boats.paddle

Default best way to secure sit-on-tops

What would be the best way to secure sot's through scupper holes?
Cables are prone to cutting, but perhaps something similar to a U-lock
for kayaks. Meant for permanent storage. Thanks in advance!

posted to rec.boats.paddle

I'd imagine that you could cut up an old rubber /plastic garden hose into
pieces and use them as "protectors" between the scupper's plastic and the
cable/chain/rope hanger. Rich

posted to rec.boats.paddle

On Sep 9, 5:48 pm, "rich" wrote:
I'd imagine that you could cut up an old rubber /plastic garden hose into
pieces and use them as "protectors" between the scupper's plastic and the
cable/chain/rope hanger. Rich

That's a good idea if you don't want to damage the kayak, but I meant
that the diameter of most scupper holes only accomodates an easier to
cut cable. Unless you're lucky enough to own a Hobie Cat with wider
holes for pedal drives that allow a real heavy duty chain with
protector and all, such as I got on my scooter. Such a chain is 100
bucks, but I can rest assured that the boat will always be there.

posted to rec.boats.paddle

On Sep 9, 9:22 pm, donquijote1954 wrote:
On Sep 9, 5:48 pm, "rich" wrote:

I'd imagine that you could cut up an old rubber /plastic garden hose into
pieces and use them as "protectors" between the scupper's plastic and the
cable/chain/rope hanger. Rich

That's a good idea if you don't want to damage the kayak, but I meant
that the diameter of most scupper holes only accomodates an easier to
cut cable. Unless you're lucky enough to own a Hobie Cat with wider
holes for pedal drives that allow a real heavy duty chain with
protector and all, such as I got on my scooter. Such a chain is 100
bucks, but I can rest assured that the boat will always be there.

There is no such thing as a 100% effective security chain or cable.
Any chain or cable can be cut by the properly equipped thief. Security
chains and cables are only used to keep the relatively "honest" people
honest.

The only 100% effective way to not have something stolen is to not own
it!!

;-)

John Kuthe...

posted to rec.boats.paddle

That's a good idea if you don't want to damage the kayak, but I meant
that the diameter of most scupper holes only accomodates an easier to
cut cable.

A friend who ran a livery a few years ago used a very thick and long
Kryptonite cable that threaded through the scupper holes of a bunch of SOTs.
This seemed to work OK --never had one stolen. The cable is plastic covered
so no additional insulation was needed. There are Kryptonite cables and
locks available in varying lengths for bicycles. Perhaps such a store would
be a good source of something you can use.

Joe P.

posted to rec.boats.paddle

On Sep 9, 3:25 pm, donquijote1954 wrote:
What would be the best way to secure sot's through scupper holes?
Cables are prone to cutting, but perhaps something similar to a U-lock
for kayaks. Meant for permanent storage. Thanks in advance!

I'm sold on the Kayak Lasso Cables - Model SLC1200 for Sit on Tops
www.lassosecuritycables.com

I currently use mine on a Dagger Crossover and an Epic Endurance
Great for added security during transport, stop at a restaurant, etc.
You can leave the boat on your car overnight and not worry.
It even works by wrapping it around a pole, tree, or other solid
support.

If someone really, really wants to steal a kayak - it's gone no
matter what you use.

posted to rec.boats.paddle

On Sep 9, 5:48 pm, "rich" wrote:

[...]

Sorry that I had to be away a couple of days. Anyways, here are my
thoughts...

I consider something "safe" when breaking it would make it so visible
or so noisy as to deter 99% of thieves. Kayaks fit in the former
category: They are usually too visible to walk away with (compared to,
say, bikes), though my ex wife's Ocean Kayak Drifter just "walked
away" in the middle of the night.

Anyway, I'm getting a "Phython" lock cable for my kayak. That would
make it pretty safe, but when I get my next great toy (a tandem,
possibly a Hobie), I will work on a chain that it would make it so
NOISY that cutting it would wake half the neighbors... And I hope that
they can sleep well.

posted to rec.boats.paddle

On Sep 9, 5:48 pm, "rich" wrote:

[...]

Oxyacetylene cutting torches are not noisy, and can cut any steel
made, no matter how hard or tough.

Yeah, I agree. The Python cables are pretty good protection
(PGP? ;-) ) I have one for my bicycle, and I use it! :-)

John Kuthe...

posted to rec.boats.paddle

wrote:

Anyway, I'm getting a "Phython" lock cable for my kayak. That would
make it pretty safe, but when I get my next great toy (a tandem,
possibly a Hobie), I will work on a chain that it would make it so
NOISY that cutting it would wake half the neighbors... And I hope that
they can sleep well.

Oxyacetylene cutting torches are not noisy, and can cut any steel
made, no matter how hard or tough.

Yeah, I agree. The Python cables are pretty good protection
(PGP? ;-) ) I have one for my bicycle, and I use it! :-)

John Kuthe...

But how do you connect a cable to a kayak in a solid way?

bjorri.
posted to rec.boats.paddle

On Sep 9, 5:48 pm, "rich" wrote:

[...]

Sorry to say that my last stolen bike was taken with a Python and all
(the weaker of the two). I even saw the "rat" roll away with it, and
waved it goodbye.

This very upscale shopping center is next to "the jungle" and lacks
any security or cameras for the bikes, and the predators only take
advantage of it, you know.

Sunbrella for boat tops? Josh Assing General 14 February 13th 07 12:57 AM
Secure borders?? Don White General 11 January 16th 07 08:20 PM
Navy tops/covers ? Boat Building 0 November 8th 04 06:07 PM
refinishing counter tops Cindy Ballreich Cruising 8 January 16th 04 05:07 PM