Jim Jim is offline

Default On topic photos...

Boater wrote:
Jim wrote:
Boater wrote:
Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq. wrote:
Boater wrote:
...little place for them here, eh?

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...s/ce0a1de9.jpg

Anyway, here's a snap of Yo Ho's business end. I'm waiting for the
shrinkwrap guy to show up this week. Wrapping the exhaust after the
motor drains is part of the winterizing process. I've got to spend
a few minutes removing the rust from the prop and repainting it.
One of these days I'll find a prop paint that actually stays on the
blade tips. :)

What surprised me was the rust on the aluminum prop. My props (much
older than yours) have lost half of the black paint, I have had some
dings removed, and it has touched the bottom a time or two, but has
never shown a hint of rust. Is rust on aluminum props common in
salt water?

Jesus. Are you a graduate of the John Herring School of Marine Engine
Ignorance?

"...rust on the aluminum prop."

D'oh.

I think you said you were going to spend a few minutes removing rust
from the aluminiun prop. I could tell you how it could get there but I
won't.

Uh, no...I did not say I was going to remove rust from my "aluminum"
prop. I did not mention the material from which the prop was fabricated.
Obviously, the prop is...steel.

Why obviously? I think you should shoot a macro of the aforementioned
rust. There are some seasoned boaters here who could help you out with
your problem.

Boater wrote:
Boater wrote:
[...]

It sure was nice of you to start an on topic post. I learn something
new all the time, I had no idea they painted SS props. All of the SS
props I have seen have been polished stainless steel (a silver or chrome
appearance) and they have never had a problem with rust. I have now
learned that they also make a brushed Stainless Steel that has a
tendency to rust. What i can't figure out (since I am not a graduate of
Marine Engine School) why anyone would buy a brushed stainless steel
prop when he has never been successful in finding a paint that will
actually stay on the prop and he knows that the brushed finish will
rust. I guess different strokes for different folks.

You've now learned "they also make a brushed Stainless Steel that has a
tendency to rust," you say?

Where did you learn this?

Jim Jim is offline

Boater wrote:
Boater wrote:
[...]

He probably opted for the cheaper grade prop because he knew he was
going to paint it. Notice he said steel. We won't know for sure it's
stainless until he volunteers the info.

Boater wrote:
Boater wrote:
[...]

I learned it from Mercury Marine. They are a major mfg'er of marine
engines, props, rigging equipment and numerous other products. You may
have heard of them or seen them around the marina. Their OB engines at
are the black ones.

On their web site they state "Brushed finish stainless props are more
susceptible (to rust) than brightly finished stainless steel props".

But actually I would not have had to look it up because I have never
seen a polished stainless steel rust, and obviously your brushed
stainless steel has a really nice patina of rust started after a year.
Do you go with the brushed and painted SS for the appearance, the
ability to repaint your prop annually or is there another reason you
prefer them?

"Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq." wrote in message
Boater wrote:
...little place for them here, eh?

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...s/ce0a1de9.jpg

Anyway, here's a snap of Yo Ho's business end. I'm waiting for the
shrinkwrap guy to show up this week. Wrapping the exhaust after the motor
drains is part of the winterizing process. I've got to spend a few
minutes removing the rust from the prop and repainting it. One of these
days I'll find a prop paint that actually stays on the blade tips. :)

What surprised me was the rust on the aluminum prop. My props (much older
than yours) have lost half of the black paint, I have had some dings
removed, and it has touched the bottom a time or two, but has never shown
a hint of rust. Is rust on aluminum props common in salt water?

As far as painting the props, my props started to lose their paint in the
first year, and I asked the mechanic if I should touch them up. His
comment was that the new paint would "spin off" as soon as i put the boat
back in the water. Don't know if that is true, but it sure has save me
the trouble of repainting the prop. Based upon your experience repainting
props, he was correct. When I have had the prop dings smoothed out and
balanced, the prop shop never bothers to repaint the props for the same
reason.

That's not rust. It's probably a primer paint for aluminum.

Eisboch

Boater wrote:
[...]

You must have gone to the same Marine Engine maintenance school John and
I graduated from.

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 09:31:32 -0500, Boater
wrote:

...little place for them here, eh?

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...s/ce0a1de9.jpg

Anyway, here's a snap of Yo Ho's business end. I'm waiting for the
shrinkwrap guy to show up this week. Wrapping the exhaust after the
motor drains is part of the winterizing process. I've got to spend a few
minutes removing the rust from the prop and repainting it. One of these
days I'll find a prop paint that actually stays on the blade tips. :)

What sand bar did you run through? :)

Boater wrote:
Boater wrote:
[...]

There you go again.

I didn't "opt" for any particular prop. What I did do was discuss props
with the Parker factory before my boat was shipped. I was emailed some
prop performance charts, and after additional discussion, my contact at
Parker made a recommendation. I said "you betcha," and was pleased that
the performance numbers he quoted me were right on the money.

You are acting as if the "rust" bothers me a lot. It doesn't. It's just
a little something I will attend to this week.

Of course, if *you* actually had a boat, you might be spending some time
with it, eh?

WW I photos Gene Park Tall Ship Photos 0 April 30th 08 11:52 PM
photos Wm Watt General 1 October 3rd 06 05:34 PM
On Topic: More Fair photos - with a BOAT!!!! *JimH* General 10 September 4th 05 03:08 PM
More Photos Seahag ASA 24 December 29th 04 03:40 PM