Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq.[_3_] Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq.[_3_] is offline

Default On topic photos...

Boater wrote:
Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq. wrote:
Boater wrote:
Jim wrote:
Boater wrote:
Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq. wrote:
Boater wrote:
...little place for them here, eh?

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...s/ce0a1de9.jpg

Anyway, here's a snap of Yo Ho's business end. I'm waiting for
the shrinkwrap guy to show up this week. Wrapping the exhaust
after the motor drains is part of the winterizing process. I've
got to spend a few minutes removing the rust from the prop and
repainting it. One of these days I'll find a prop paint that
actually stays on the blade tips. :)

What surprised me was the rust on the aluminum prop. My props
(much older than yours) have lost half of the black paint, I have
had some dings removed, and it has touched the bottom a time or
two, but has never shown a hint of rust. Is rust on aluminum
props common in salt water?

Jesus. Are you a graduate of the John Herring School of Marine
Engine Ignorance?

"...rust on the aluminum prop."

D'oh.

I think you said you were going to spend a few minutes removing rust
from the aluminiun prop. I could tell you how it could get there but
I won't.

Uh, no...I did not say I was going to remove rust from my "aluminum"
prop. I did not mention the material from which the prop was
fabricated. Obviously, the prop is...steel.

It sure was nice of you to start an on topic post. I learn something
new all the time, I had no idea they painted SS props. All of the SS
props I have seen have been polished stainless steel (a silver or
chrome appearance) and they have never had a problem with rust. I
have now learned that they also make a brushed Stainless Steel that
has a tendency to rust. What i can't figure out (since I am not a
graduate of Marine Engine School) why anyone would buy a brushed
stainless steel prop when he has never been successful in finding a
paint that will actually stay on the prop and he knows that the
brushed finish will rust. I guess different strokes for different folks.

You've now learned "they also make a brushed Stainless Steel that has a
tendency to rust," you say?

Where did you learn this?

I learned it from Mercury Marine. They are a major mfg'er of marine
engines, props, rigging equipment and numerous other products. You may
have heard of them or seen them around the marina. Their OB engines at
are the black ones.

On their web site they state "Brushed finish stainless props are more
susceptible (to rust) than brightly finished stainless steel props".

But actually I would not have had to look it up because I have never
seen a polished stainless steel rust, and obviously your brushed
stainless steel has a really nice patina of rust started after a year.
Do you go with the brushed and painted SS for the appearance, the
ability to repaint your prop annually or is there another reason you
prefer them?