Default On topic photos...

....little place for them here, eh?

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...s/ce0a1de9.jpg

Anyway, here's a snap of Yo Ho's business end. I'm waiting for the
shrinkwrap guy to show up this week. Wrapping the exhaust after the
motor drains is part of the winterizing process. I've got to spend a few
minutes removing the rust from the prop and repainting it. One of these
days I'll find a prop paint that actually stays on the blade tips. :)

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...0Boats/ce0a1de...

Anyway, here's a snap of Yo Ho's business end. I'm waiting for the
shrinkwrap guy to show up this week. Wrapping the exhaust after the
motor drains is part of the winterizing process. I've got to spend a few
minutes removing the rust from the prop and repainting it. One of these
days I'll find a prop paint that actually stays on the blade tips. *:)

How about a picture of your 36' Zimmerman like lobster boat?
Or your Hatteras?
Or from your single handing around the horn?
Or your trip from SF to Hawaii?
Or from your competitive sailing days?
Or from your father's fireboat welcome in NYC?
Or IDing bodies in 'Nam?
Or of your father's marina?
Or any of the other things you claim?

OH, and they have this new space aged material for props, it's called
Stainless Steel.

Boater wrote:
...little place for them here, eh?

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...s/ce0a1de9.jpg

Anyway, here's a snap of Yo Ho's business end. I'm waiting for the
shrinkwrap guy to show up this week. Wrapping the exhaust after the
motor drains is part of the winterizing process. I've got to spend a few
minutes removing the rust from the prop and repainting it. One of these
days I'll find a prop paint that actually stays on the blade tips. :)

What surprised me was the rust on the aluminum prop. My props (much
older than yours) have lost half of the black paint, I have had some
dings removed, and it has touched the bottom a time or two, but has
never shown a hint of rust. Is rust on aluminum props common in salt
water?

As far as painting the props, my props started to lose their paint in
the first year, and I asked the mechanic if I should touch them up. His
comment was that the new paint would "spin off" as soon as i put the
boat back in the water. Don't know if that is true, but it sure has
save me the trouble of repainting the prop. Based upon your experience
repainting props, he was correct. When I have had the prop dings
smoothed out and balanced, the prop shop never bothers to repaint the
props for the same reason.

Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq. wrote:
Boater wrote:
...little place for them here, eh?

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...s/ce0a1de9.jpg

Anyway, here's a snap of Yo Ho's business end. I'm waiting for the
shrinkwrap guy to show up this week. Wrapping the exhaust after the
motor drains is part of the winterizing process. I've got to spend a
few minutes removing the rust from the prop and repainting it. One of
these days I'll find a prop paint that actually stays on the blade
tips. :)

What surprised me was the rust on the aluminum prop. My props (much
older than yours) have lost half of the black paint, I have had some
dings removed, and it has touched the bottom a time or two, but has
never shown a hint of rust. Is rust on aluminum props common in salt
water?

Jesus. Are you a graduate of the John Herring School of Marine Engine
Ignorance?

"...rust on the aluminum prop."

D'oh.

Jim Jim is offline

Boater wrote:
....little place for them here, eh?

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...s/ce0a1de9.jpg

Anyway, here's a snap of Yo Ho's business end. I'm waiting for the
shrinkwrap guy to show up this week. Wrapping the exhaust after the
motor drains is part of the winterizing process. I've got to spend a few
minutes removing the rust from the prop and repainting it. One of these
days I'll find a prop paint that actually stays on the blade tips. :)

Actually the prop looks great. If you hadn't done a little clam digging
with it, there would probably be no signs of paint wear at all. That is
a lightly used prop. Probably never run over 3500 rpm either. You take
very good care of your equipment.

Boater wrote:
[...]

..
Well Harry, this might be a first in rec.boats, even for you. The
original person who starts an on topic post, uses his post as an excuse
to immediately turn it into a flame fest. Normally you prefer to use
your posts as a bait for someone to say something negative so you can
turn your post into your typical flame fest, this time, you didn't even
wait. In your old age, you are getting very impatient.

Jim Jim is offline

Boater wrote:
[...]

I think you said you were going to spend a few minutes removing rust
from the aluminiun prop. I could tell you how it could get there but I
won't.

Jim wrote:
Boater wrote:
....little place for them here, eh?

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...s/ce0a1de9.jpg

Anyway, here's a snap of Yo Ho's business end. I'm waiting for the
shrinkwrap guy to show up this week. Wrapping the exhaust after the
motor drains is part of the winterizing process. I've got to spend a
few minutes removing the rust from the prop and repainting it. One of
these days I'll find a prop paint that actually stays on the blade
tips. :)

Actually the prop looks great. If you hadn't done a little clam digging
with it, there would probably be no signs of paint wear at all. That is
a lightly used prop. Probably never run over 3500 rpm either. You take
very good care of your equipment.

Actually, the prop has never hit bottom, or anything else, as you might
be able to tell from the lack of dings or chips or dents in the blades.
It's not so easy to run aground in the Bay in a small outboard boat.

I rarely run the motor at more than 4250-4500 rpm. There's no reason to
do so. Doing so just burns more fuel and wears out the motor faster. I
also wash the boat out and flush the motor with fresh water after every
use.

Interesting "no charge" recall item on the winterizing bill, which is
another reason why I like to have the dealer take care of these things
for me.

Boater wrote:
[...]

Uh, no...I did not say I was going to remove rust from my "aluminum"
prop. I did not mention the material from which the prop was fabricated.
Obviously, the prop is...steel.

Boater wrote:
Boater wrote:
[...]

It sure was nice of you to start an on topic post. I learn something
new all the time, I had no idea they painted SS props. All of the SS
props I have seen have been polished stainless steel (a silver or chrome
appearance) and they have never had a problem with rust. I have now
learned that they also make a brushed Stainless Steel that has a
tendency to rust. What i can't figure out (since I am not a graduate of
Marine Engine School) why anyone would buy a brushed stainless steel
prop when he has never been successful in finding a paint that will
actually stay on the prop and he knows that the brushed finish will
rust. I guess different strokes for different folks.

WW I photos Gene Park Tall Ship Photos 0 April 30th 08 11:52 PM
photos Wm Watt General 1 October 3rd 06 05:34 PM
On Topic: More Fair photos - with a BOAT!!!! *JimH* General 10 September 4th 05 03:08 PM
More Photos Seahag ASA 24 December 29th 04 03:40 PM