posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default VHF 22B and 83B channels?

I'm in Canada on the St. Lawrence and the Canadian CG broadcasts the
weather on VHF 22B and 83B. What the hell is "B"? I've changed my
VHF settings to International and Canadian and I don't hear anything.

-- Geoff
posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 20:06:58 -0700 (PDT), GeoffSchultz
wrote:

I'm in Canada on the St. Lawrence and the Canadian CG broadcasts the
weather on VHF 22B and 83B. What the hell is "B"? I've changed my
VHF settings to International and Canadian and I don't hear anything.

-- Geoff

The "B" indicates that the CG uses the shore transmit frequency of a
duplex channel for broadcasts. To receive these broadcasts, you
should set your radio to the International or Canadian mode, not US.

I think you want 21B, not 22B (at least, that's what they use here on
the Wet Coast).

The Coast Guard publication "Radio Aids to Marine Navigation" should
list the coast guard stations and indicate the locations and channels
of their transmitters.

I would expect 21B and 83B to be included among the weather channels
on any marine radio sold in Canada - at least, they have been on the
radios I've used. When I want a weather forecast, I just scan through
all the weather channels til I find a usable signal.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

wrote:
[...]

GPS and NMEA info:http://vancouver-webpages.com/peter
Vancouver Power Squadron:http://vancouver.powersquadron.ca

It actually is 22B and 83B and as I stated, changing the settings on
either my Standard Horizon or Icom radios to International or Canada
doesn't allow me to hear the weather broadcasts. I have 22A and 83A
and find no mention of any 22B/83B. I suspect that they're talking
about 22/83, but that doesn't explain why I can't hear the broadcasts
when I typically have great reception/range.

-- Geoff

GeoffSchultz wrote:
and find no mention of any 22B/83B. I suspect that they're talking
about 22/83, but that doesn't explain why I can't hear the broadcasts
when I typically have great reception/range.

That is because these channels are full duplex channels where receive
and transmit are using different frequencies. The A and B designations
are to indicate ship frequency (A) or shore frequency (B).
If you set your radio to 'US' mode you'll get 22A only on channel 22
(transmit and receive on the ch 22 ship frequency) as this channel is
use by the US coast guard to talk to other ships.
If your VHF is set to 'International', then, if set to ch 22, it should
receive on ch 22B and transmit on ch 22A.

What is the make and model of your VHF ?

Markus

On Jul 27, 7:37*am, Markus Baertschi wrote:
GeoffSchultz wrote:
and find no mention of any 22B/83B. *I suspect that they're talking
about 22/83, but that doesn't explain why I can't hear the broadcasts
when I typically have great reception/range.

That is because these channels are full duplex channels where receive
and transmit are using different frequencies. The A and B designations
are to indicate ship frequency (A) or shore frequency (B).
If you set your radio to 'US' mode you'll get 22A only on channel 22
(transmit and receive on the ch 22 ship frequency) as this channel is
use by the US coast guard to talk to other ships.
If your VHF is set to 'International', then, if set to ch 22, it should
receive on ch 22B and transmit on ch 22A.

What is the make and model of your VHF ?

Markus

I have multiple VHFs, but the one active in the cockpit with a RAM mic
is a Standard Horizon GX2360S. I was just playing around with the
radio and realized that on the base unit, that there's an A/B button
that doesn't seem to have a counterpart on the RAM mic, which the mic
that I almost always use. However, that wasn't the problem. I
switched between USA/Canada/Intl and heard the broadcasts. I've done
this multiple times to try to hear the weather broadcasts, and never
heard anything. I have no idea as to why, but perhaps I was just very
unlucky and always caught a dead section of the broadcast...

-- Geoff

posted to rec.boats.electronics

wrote:
[...]

The latest edition of Industry Canada's applicable document shows that
21B is used for Continuous Marine Broadcasts in all areas of Canada,
and makes no mention of 22B. (However, I have noticed that we don't
always do what this document says...)

With a radio in "Canada" mode, 22 will actually be 22A, as it is used
by the Coast Guard to talk to the public - you would need to use the
International mode to hear "22B".

Note: on the West Coast, the Canadian Coast Guard uses 83A rather than
22A to talk to the public, to avoid potential interference with the
USCG's use of 22A. I don't know if the CCG in other areas has also
switched to 83A...

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
posted to rec.boats.electronics

In article .com,
Peter Bennett wrote:

The latest edition of Industry Canada's applicable document shows that
21B is used for Continuous Marine Broadcasts in all areas of Canada,
and makes no mention of 22B. (However, I have noticed that we don't
always do what this document says...)

With a radio in "Canada" mode, 22 will actually be 22A, as it is used
by the Coast Guard to talk to the public - you would need to use the
International mode to hear "22B".

Note: on the West Coast, the Canadian Coast Guard uses 83A rather than
22A to talk to the public, to avoid potential interference with the
USCG's use of 22A. I don't know if the CCG in other areas has also
switched to 83A...

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

before we get to much farther into this discussion, maybe we should
move AWAY from Channel Designators, that are different between countries
and numbering systems, and move on to FREQUENCIES, in Mhz.

21A = 157.050 Mhz
21B = 161.650 Mhz

22A = 157.100 Mhz
22B = 161.700 Mhz

23A = 157.150 Mhz
23B = 161.750 Mhz

83A = 157.175 Mhz
83B = 161.775 Mhz

--
Bruce in alaska
add path after fast to reply
posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Jul 28, 3:24*pm, Bruce in alaska wrote:
In article .com,
*Peter Bennett wrote:

[...]

add path after fast to reply- Hide quoted text -

Bruce,

I've been looking at these frequencies in my manual, and was surpised
to see that I had to set the radio to International mode, as opposed
to Canadian mode, to receive the B frequencies on my Standard Horizon
radio that the Canadian CG broadcasts.

-- Geoff
posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 16:25:58 -0700 (PDT), GeoffSchultz
wrote:

Bruce,

I've been looking at these frequencies in my manual, and was surpised
to see that I had to set the radio to International mode, as opposed
to Canadian mode, to receive the B frequencies on my Standard Horizon
radio that the Canadian CG broadcasts.

-- Geoff

I would expect to find 21B and 83B among the weather channels - no
need to select "International" mode, then use the "normal" channel
select scheme to find the continuous marine broadcasts. The channel
list in my Icom 504 manual shows 21B (161.65 MHz) and 83B (161.775
MHz) as weather channels 8 and 9, respectively.

I happen to have a Standard Horizon GX2355 manual handy, an its
frequency list also shows 161.65 and 161.775 as Weather Channels 8 and
9.

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info. This just makes you wonder how many people can't/
don't follow the weather to the assigned frequency when they append
"B" to the frequency. Are channels WX8 and WX9 fairly standard on VHF
radios? If so, wouldn't it make sense to say "83B or WX9 on many
radios"? It would be interesting to run an end-user test to see how
well their current text is understood.

-- Geoff