posted to rec.boats.electronics
Peter Bennett Peter Bennett is offline

Default VHF 22B and 83B channels?

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 20:06:58 -0700 (PDT), GeoffSchultz
wrote:

I'm in Canada on the St. Lawrence and the Canadian CG broadcasts the
weather on VHF 22B and 83B. What the hell is "B"? I've changed my
VHF settings to International and Canadian and I don't hear anything.

-- Geoff

The "B" indicates that the CG uses the shore transmit frequency of a
duplex channel for broadcasts. To receive these broadcasts, you
should set your radio to the International or Canadian mode, not US.

I think you want 21B, not 22B (at least, that's what they use here on
the Wet Coast).

The Coast Guard publication "Radio Aids to Marine Navigation" should
list the coast guard stations and indicate the locations and channels
of their transmitters.

I would expect 21B and 83B to be included among the weather channels
on any marine radio sold in Canada - at least, they have been on the
radios I've used. When I want a weather forecast, I just scan through
all the weather channels til I find a usable signal.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca