posted to rec.boats.electronics
GeoffSchultz GeoffSchultz is offline

Default VHF 22B and 83B channels?

On Jul 27, 7:37*am, Markus Baertschi wrote:
GeoffSchultz wrote:
and find no mention of any 22B/83B. *I suspect that they're talking
about 22/83, but that doesn't explain why I can't hear the broadcasts
when I typically have great reception/range.

That is because these channels are full duplex channels where receive
and transmit are using different frequencies. The A and B designations
are to indicate ship frequency (A) or shore frequency (B).
If you set your radio to 'US' mode you'll get 22A only on channel 22
(transmit and receive on the ch 22 ship frequency) as this channel is
use by the US coast guard to talk to other ships.
If your VHF is set to 'International', then, if set to ch 22, it should
receive on ch 22B and transmit on ch 22A.

What is the make and model of your VHF ?

Markus

I have multiple VHFs, but the one active in the cockpit with a RAM mic
is a Standard Horizon GX2360S. I was just playing around with the
radio and realized that on the base unit, that there's an A/B button
that doesn't seem to have a counterpart on the RAM mic, which the mic
that I almost always use. However, that wasn't the problem. I
switched between USA/Canada/Intl and heard the broadcasts. I've done
this multiple times to try to hear the weather broadcasts, and never
heard anything. I have no idea as to why, but perhaps I was just very
unlucky and always caught a dead section of the broadcast...

-- Geoff