Scott Downey

Default VHF channels for marine operator? 24 - 28 and 84 - 87

I was testing my radios by talking back an forth thru each channel. On
channels 24 thru 28 and 84 thru 87 the radios do not respond to each other.
Is this what you would expect ?

I notice these are public correspondance channels are the marine operators
no longer in business? Are these channels ever used anymore?

Chuck Tribolet

They are duplex channels. Shore side transmits on one freq, boat side on
another. Both can talk at once.

--
Chuck Tribolet

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/triblet

Silicon Valley: STILL the best day job in the world.

"Scott Downey" wrote in message ...
I was testing my radios by talking back an forth thru each channel. On
channels 24 thru 28 and 84 thru 87 the radios do not respond to each other.
Is this what you would expect ?

I notice these are public correspondance channels are the marine operators
no longer in business? Are these channels ever used anymore?

Wayne.B

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 17:44:40 -0500, "Scott Downey"
wrote:
I was testing my radios by talking back an forth thru each channel. On
channels 24 thru 28 and 84 thru 87 the radios do not respond to each other.
Is this what you would expect ?

I notice these are public correspondance channels are the marine operators
no longer in business? Are these channels ever used anymore?

Those channels are in "full duplex" mode which means that they
transmit and receive are on different frequencies. They were designed
to communicate with the old marine operator shore stations, not in
"ship-to-ship" mode.

Marine operators have become obsolete in most areas since cell phones
became widely available. I haven't heard one in years but it's
possible that they still exist in some places. Too bad in a way
because some of them had very high antennas and could be heard a long
way out. We could frequently communicate with the Camden, Maine
operator from over 50 miles offshore.

Scott Downey

So that means two ship radios cant talk together on these channels?
FCC and boaters I would think do not like wasted frequencies. I wonder what
the plan is for them.

wrote:
[...]

Wayne.B

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:56:41 GMT, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

Ships can talk on them. Just need two radios.

Not really true unless one of the radios is set up as a "land" station
with the transmit and receive frequencies reversed.

Curtis CCR

"Scott Downey" wrote in message ...
So that means two ship radios cant talk together on these channels?
FCC and boaters I would think do not like wasted frequencies. I wonder what
the plan is for them.

Yes that means that two ships/boats cannot talk to eachother. They
are intended for ship to shore communications (between ships and
public/private coast stations).

Marine operators service started going by the wayside in the USA in
just the last 10 years. Prior to that, cellphones were widely
available but still pricey enough that not everyone had them.

How marine channels are used is a international issue. In many parts
of the world these duplex channels are still used more than they are
in the US. There are a couple of channels that have different uses in
the U.S. than in the rest of the world. This is why you have a
International / U.S. mode on your set. When foriegn vessels enter
U.S. waters they want to be able to use their "international" radios.
Likewise, if you take your boat to another country, you may want to be
able to contact a coast station on one of those international
channels. So just because marine operators are used as much here,
doesn't mean the international channel designations should be changed.

And in my opinion (worth something to me, but perhaps not you - your
call) we don't have a shortage of frequencies. If you can't find an
appropriate, clear, working channel it is most likely because many are
being used for communications that don't realy belong on them anyway.
The marine radio service is not there for bull**** sessions between
boaters and drunk fishermen. It should be used for communications
that are relative to the safe and efficient operation of vessel,
ports, etc.

wrote:
[...]

Chuck Tribolet

There's a US/International mode on radios not because the channels
have different USES, but because they have different FREQUENCIES.
For example, international Ch 22 is a full duplex channel on 157.100/161.700
while US 22A is a simplex channel on 157.100.

I think that over time the marine telephone channels will be freed for other
uses.

--

wrote:
[...]

Curtis CCR

"Chuck Tribolet" wrote in message ...
There's a US/International mode on radios not because the channels
have different USES, but because they have different FREQUENCIES.
For example, international Ch 22 is a full duplex channel on 157.100/161.700
while US 22A is a simplex channel on 157.100.

I think that over time the marine telephone channels will be freed for other
uses.

Yes - they are simplex in the US and duplex on international...
because they have different uses. 22A in the US is a Coast Guard
"liason" channel that you can use to talk to the CG ship-to-ship
(talking to a CG vessel) or ship-to-shore (talking to a CG station).

In in other parts of the world 22 (the duplex channel) is used for
port operations.

Not to say that 22A is not used outside the US. Doesn't Canada use
22A for the same thing we do?

"Curtis CCR" wrote in message om...

How marine channels are used is a international issue. In many parts
of the world these duplex channels are still used more than they are
in the US. There are a couple of channels that have different uses in
the U.S. than in the rest of the world. This is why you have a
International / U.S. mode on your set. When foriegn vessels enter
U.S. waters they want to be able to use their "international" radios.
Likewise, if you take your boat to another country, you may want to be
able to contact a coast station on one of those international
channels.

Scott Downey

9 channels designated for duplex use ties up 18 frequecies or 18 potential
channels
The marine operator is obsolete and yes it is a waste not being able to use
these channels.

om...