Alberto \(Tilax\)

Default VHF channels in Granadine

I'm italian and by the first days of august I'll be in the Grenadines
islands for sailing.
Here we do use VHF channels known as 'International channels'.. don't know
if in the Grenadines area I'll need USA Channels or International Channels.

Sure I know that musch part of them are the same but I don't want to be
there with a VHF pocket radio with just few working channels.

Thanks for helping.

Alberto.-

Geoff Schultz

"Alberto \(Tilax\)" wrote in
:

I'm italian and by the first days of august I'll be in the Grenadines
islands for sailing.
Here we do use VHF channels known as 'International channels'.. don't
know if in the Grenadines area I'll need USA Channels or International
Channels.

Sure I know that musch part of them are the same but I don't want to
be there with a VHF pocket radio with just few working channels.

Thanks for helping.

Alberto.-

The real answer is it depends upon who you want to talk to and where they
got their radio from. US boats will probably use US frequencies and
foreign boats may be on either. Simply avoid those frequencies which are
different and there shouldn't be any problems. 16 will be your hailing
frequency, so when someone suggests that you move to a different frequency,
make sure that it's one that is the same between U/I/C.

-- Geoff
Peter Bennett

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 21:48:42 GMT, "Alberto \(Tilax\)"
wrote:

I'm italian and by the first days of august I'll be in the Grenadines
islands for sailing.
Here we do use VHF channels known as 'International channels'.. don't know
if in the Grenadines area I'll need USA Channels or International Channels.

Sure I know that musch part of them are the same but I don't want to be
there with a VHF pocket radio with just few working channels.

The simplex channels (single-frequency, usable for intership
communications) are the same for the US and International bandplans.
The USA uses some of the international duplex channels (two-frequency,
often used for ship-shore telephone) as simplex, using only the ship
transmit frequency. Such use is normally indicated by adding an "A"
suffix to the channel number. For example, in international use,
channel 22 is duplex, but in the US (and Canada), we use it as
simplex, and call it 22A (used by US and Canadian coast guards for
non-emergency communications wit the public.)

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
Alberto \(Tilax\)

Thanks, I know this.
I was just wondering if it could happen to me to use USA channels while
sailing there.

Have a nice day.

Alberto.-