posted to rec.boats.electronics
Rob Rob is offline

Default GPS antenna location

I have been getting conflicting advice about relative position in
regard to my radar dome. Both will be mounted on my mast about 12 to
24 inches apart. I have a choice of having the GPS right below the
bottom of the dome or I could put an extension and have it extend a
few inches above the dome. Any advice?
Thanks
Bob
posted to rec.boats.electronics

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 09:51:04 -0800 (PST), Rob
wrote in
:

I have been getting conflicting advice about relative position in
regard to my radar dome. Both will be mounted on my mast about 12 to
24 inches apart. I have a choice of having the GPS right below the
bottom of the dome or I could put an extension and have it extend a
few inches above the dome. Any advice?

Why put your GPS antenna way up there? GPS works well as long as it has
a clear view of the sky, and it's best to keep the cable run as short as
possible. I've not had any problems with antennas mounted on the stern
pulpit.

--
Best regards,
John Navas http:/navasgroup.com

Rob wrote:
I have been getting conflicting advice about relative position in
regard to my radar dome. Both will be mounted on my mast about 12 to
24 inches apart. I have a choice of having the GPS right below the
bottom of the dome or I could put an extension and have it extend a
few inches above the dome. Any advice?
Thanks
BoB

Your mast will mask out quite a few of the satellites and make reception
difficult.

Set it on the pulpit rail away from any object that may prevent a view of
the whole sky.

The height is quite irrelevant for GPS reception.

Dennis.

posted to rec.boats.electronics

In article
,
Rob wrote:

I have been getting conflicting advice about relative position in
regard to my radar dome. Both will be mounted on my mast about 12 to
24 inches apart. I have a choice of having the GPS right below the
bottom of the dome or I could put an extension and have it extend a
few inches above the dome. Any advice?
Thanks
Bob

Well, since GPS and XBand Radar use different, and Widely separated,
frequencies, the only real, or apparent, problems should be the effect
of the RF Peak Pulse Output, of the Radar, mixing, or overloading in the
Frontend of the GPS's Antenna Mounted Preamp. This could be mitigated
by mounting the GPS Antenna Unit, outside the Radars, Vertical Antenna
Pattern, which is typically, Plus or Minus 12 degrees from the horizon.
Now, if you put the GPS Antenna, BELOW the Radar, the Radar itself will
block some reception from above, where is shades the GPS Antenna. If you
mount the GPS Antenna DIRECTLY above the Radar, No Problems. If you
mount it off to the side of the Radar, then you should position it, WELL
OUTSIDE the Radar Antennas Vertical Beamwidth, and more distance is
better, due to our old friend, Inverse Square Law.

--
Bruce in alaska
add path after fast to reply

Rob wrote:
I have been getting conflicting advice about relative position in
regard to my radar dome. Both will be mounted on my mast about 12 to
24 inches apart. I have a choice of having the GPS right below the
bottom of the dome or I could put an extension and have it extend a
few inches above the dome. Any advice?
Thanks
Bob

I put mine on top of the stern arch and that's a mistake. Once in a
while I get some reading of 50 knots or more. I think they are caused by
the rocking or rolling of the boat. I would put the antenna as low as
possible near the center of motion that has a clear view of the sky. You
know there is a place on the boat that actually doesn't move. Put it
there. :-)

Jeannette

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Rob, in article a999739f-3fe0-4e5a-b019-94c67b451186
@v67g2000hse.googlegroups.com, says...
I have been getting conflicting advice about relative position in
regard to my radar dome. Both will be mounted on my mast about 12 to
24 inches apart. I have a choice of having the GPS right below the
bottom of the dome or I could put an extension and have it extend a
few inches above the dome. Any advice?

As others have said, mount it low down with a clear view of
the sky - and well away from the radar transmitter. A
friend's boat had one that was mounted above a radome that
wouldn't work when the radar was running. Apparently, the
cable going up to the GPS antenna routed in front of the radar
antenna wasn't a good idea... :-)

Mounting it high up on a sailing boat also makes it subject to
position reporting error due to heel, not to mention confusing
it when rolling.

--
JohnW.
Replace the obvious with co.uk in 2 places to mail me.

wrote:

I have been getting conflicting advice about relative position in
regard to my radar dome. Both will be mounted on my mast about 12 to
24 inches apart. I have a choice of having the GPS right below the
bottom of the dome or I could put an extension and have it extend a
few inches above the dome. Any advice?
Thanks
Bob

Either is fine, as long as the GPS antenna is clearly outside of the
radar beam. (Although on a previous boat, an ancient GPS
antenna/receiver was mounted about a foot from a 4 KW radar scanner,
right in the beam, with no apparent problems.)

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

wrote:

I have been getting conflicting advice about relative position in
regard to my radar dome. Both will be mounted on my mast about 12 to
24 inches apart. I have a choice of having the GPS right below the
bottom of the dome or I could put an extension and have it extend a
few inches above the dome. Any advice?
Thanks
Bob

Disregard my previous post (although it is correct about keeping the
GPS antenna out of the radar beam). As others have said, the GPS
antenna should be mounted fairly low on the boat, and in a location
where it has a clear view of the sky in all directions.

Mounting the GPS antenna on the mast will cause it to see spurious
movements as the boat rocks. In addition, if the GPS antenna is
immediately below the radar scanner, the scanner will block the GPS
satellite signals from a fair portion of the sky.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
posted to rec.boats.electronics
Ed Ed is offline

Is this a sailboat? I assumed powerboat with an electronics mast. If
it is sail, get it low and clear (as all the other posters suggested).
If power and you only have the mast space then separate as far apart
and I prefer BELOW the beam of the radar. I have 3 on my hardtop, all
mounted within 24" of an open array 4KW but all just below the beam. No
SNR issues at all.

Rob wrote:
I have been getting conflicting advice about relative position in
regard to my radar dome. Both will be mounted on my mast about 12 to
24 inches apart. I have a choice of having the GPS right below the
bottom of the dome or I could put an extension and have it extend a
few inches above the dome. Any advice?
Thanks
Bob

posted to rec.boats.electronics

it's best to keep the cable run as short as possible.

Which is usless advice if it's a network-connected GPS antenna. NMEA2000,
SeaTalk, etc, are fine with longer cable runs.

You don't mention if this is a power or sail vessel.

Generally you want your GPS unit mounted where it's going to have an
unobstructed view of the sky. Putting it next to a radome might be a
problem in that the signal would be getting blocked. Not enough to entirely
lose all fix but enough to degrade the overall accuracy of it.

-Bill Kearney

Solenoid location Mike & Christine Salome General 5 August 14th 06 11:16 PM
Changing VHF antenna location...? [email protected] Electronics 15 May 28th 06 01:22 PM
Engine Location Denis Marier Cruising 4 September 20th 05 02:12 AM
Sun's Location Thom Stewart ASA 21 March 19th 05 08:44 PM
manufacture location cbliii Boat Building 0 November 20th 03 11:41 PM