Denis Marier

Default Engine Location

I just learned that the Catalina 30 has it diesel engine located amidships.
I do not know if this is the best location. Some people are saying that it
is the best location for weight distribution. However, that may leave the
engine more vulnerable to salty bilge water and sound insulation may be
difficult. Any idea if this is correct

John Cairns

"Denis Marier" wrote in message

I just learned that the Catalina 30 has it diesel engine located
amidships.
I do not know if this is the best location. Some people are saying that it
is the best location for weight distribution. However, that may leave the
engine more vulnerable to salty bilge water and sound insulation may be
difficult. Any idea if this is correct

Not amidships. Insulation is a problem as many older Catalinas-my 92'
Catalina 28, for example-had NO insulation installed at the factory, just a
grp cover. Installed insulation, taking care of noise levels, never had a
problem with water and the engine. The engine is fairly forward, but high
enough above the bilge level so water shouldn't be an issue, unless the boat
is sinking, of course. and moving the engine forward is probably a good idea
for proper weight distribution, you don't want all of the weight in the ass
end of the boat. If you look at enough boats with inboards you'll note that
most of them do locate the powerplant as far forward as is practical.

John Cairns

John Cairns

"Denis Marier" wrote in message
I am glad to hear that bilge water is not a problem. What about the engine
exhaust hose. I am curious to know if its in the way of anything on the
way
to the transom.

Dunno about the 30, but on my 28 the hose goes to port to the aqua lift,
then down the port side, up high, back to the transom, and of course, with
an anti-suction loop.
Wouldn't be surprised if the 30 has a similar exhaust layout.

John Cairns

[...]

Engine Tag Identification / Location Douglas St. Clair General 30 August 12th 05 09:58 PM
Engine coupler Proxy General 14 July 17th 05 06:13 AM
power vs sail O:P\) Cruising 36 March 18th 04 02:27 AM
Engine News from Genmar Gould 0738 General 8 October 27th 03 04:47 PM