Default Solenoid location

Hello:

Wondering if someone can tell me where to find the starter solenoid on a '99
Mercruiser 4.3L V6? Is it a part of the started motor assembly or is it
mounted away from the starter? This is on a '99 Maxum 1900 SR.

Thanks,
Mike

No, it shouldn't have to be raised, but it's a real bugger to get to.
the starter is heald up to the engine block with 2 bolts that thread
threw the bottom of the starter up to the block.

it's one of those "I can't see 'em, but I can feel, em" things.

Not fun.

Mike & Christine Salome wrote:
Not the answer I was looking for, but thanks. Based on what I can see, it
looks like the engine has to be raised in order to change it out. Somebody
please tell me I'm wrong...

Mike

wrote in message
ups.com...
Mike, it should be mounted right on top of the starter motor, and is
part of the drive engagement , as well as an electrical switch.

Mike & Christine Salome wrote:
Hello:

Wondering if someone can tell me where to find the starter solenoid on a
'99
Mercruiser 4.3L V6? Is it a part of the started motor assembly or is it
mounted away from the starter? This is on a '99 Maxum 1900 SR.

Thanks,
Mike

Before removing the starter I would verify that you are getting 12
volts to the solenoid wire at the starter. There is a smaller wire
attached to a small terminal on the end of the starter solenoid. It
should read 12v when someone turns the key. I suggest checking this
because I believe some merc wiring systems have an additional solenoid
upstream from the starter solenoid. Also there is a neutral safety
switch involved. You should be able to get at the wires on the end of
the starter. It is cramped though. The big wire should have 12v on it
all the time. There may be a smaller wire going from the big terminal
back to the alternator, ignore it. The small wire on the small
terminal is what energizes the solenoid. It both pulls the starter
gear into mesh and connnects the starter motor to 12v.

wrote:
No, it shouldn't have to be raised, but it's a real bugger to get to.
the starter is heald up to the engine block with 2 bolts that thread
threw the bottom of the starter up to the block.

it's one of those "I can't see 'em, but I can feel, em" things.

Not fun.

Mike & Christine Salome wrote:
Not the answer I was looking for, but thanks. Based on what I can see, it
looks like the engine has to be raised in order to change it out. Somebody
please tell me I'm wrong...

Mike

wrote in message
ups.com...
Mike, it should be mounted right on top of the starter motor, and is
part of the drive engagement , as well as an electrical switch.

Mike & Christine Salome wrote:
Hello:

Wondering if someone can tell me where to find the starter solenoid on a
'99
Mercruiser 4.3L V6? Is it a part of the started motor assembly or is it
mounted away from the starter? This is on a '99 Maxum 1900 SR.

Thanks,
Mike

good thought, james.

Also, if there is no enguagement at all, not even a click, or a weak
click whent he starter is enguaged with the key, it may not be the
solonoid on the starter at all. it could be the starter motor itself.
Especially on boats that have had water in the bildge for extended
periods of time, the brushs could be corroded into their holders and/or
the brush springs could be rusted in two, or broken.

Check to see if you are getting power on the "s" terminal of the
solonoid first, though.

wrote:
No, it shouldn't have to be raised, but it's a real bugger to get to.
the starter is heald up to the engine block with 2 bolts that thread
threw the bottom of the starter up to the block.

it's one of those "I can't see 'em, but I can feel, em" things.

Not fun.

Mike & Christine Salome wrote:
Not the answer I was looking for, but thanks. Based on what I can see, it
looks like the engine has to be raised in order to change it out. Somebody
please tell me I'm wrong...

Mike

ups.com...