posted to rec.boats.electronics
Peter Bennett Peter Bennett is offline

Default GPS antenna location

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 09:51:04 -0800 (PST), Rob
wrote:

I have been getting conflicting advice about relative position in
regard to my radar dome. Both will be mounted on my mast about 12 to
24 inches apart. I have a choice of having the GPS right below the
bottom of the dome or I could put an extension and have it extend a
few inches above the dome. Any advice?
Thanks
Bob

Disregard my previous post (although it is correct about keeping the
GPS antenna out of the radar beam). As others have said, the GPS
antenna should be mounted fairly low on the boat, and in a location
where it has a clear view of the sky in all directions.

Mounting the GPS antenna on the mast will cause it to see spurious
movements as the boat rocks. In addition, if the GPS antenna is
immediately below the radar scanner, the scanner will block the GPS
satellite signals from a fair portion of the sky.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca