posted to rec.boats.electronics

Default Building custom Cockpit control panels / Computer controls

Hello,
Is anyone here involved in building their own Control Panels for new
or old boat construction?

I have built a couple of inboard boats, and made typical metal-panel,
switch and instrument control panels that worked out OK... But now I'm
looking to do a modern approach for a larger boat (probably a rebuild/
upgrade).

I want to build operator controls that combine several things:

- Conventional mechanical/hydraulic steering, throttle, forward/
reverse controls
- Conventional Engine / Systems instrumentation and switches

- Computer-based display(s) and Human Interface:
- For Computer-based navigation
- For Computer-based monitoring and logging of details of onboard
systems, temperatures, etc.
- For At-Anchor activities such as checking email.

I will combine an LCD display in the cockpit (with, hopefully, good
waterproofing, isolation,

light/reflection properties etc), with a somewhat conventional-looking
control panel with buttons, toggle

and other switches, and (perhaps) a "joystick". These interface
devices will be connected to an onboard

computer system running conventional PC navigation and other
software. There are available devices that

can take up to 50 or so switch closures and joysticks and present them
to the PC over a single USB

connection. (Example: http://www.ultimarc.com/ipac1.html)

There has been lots of discussion and work about onboard X86 computer
systems, software, power etc.

elsewhere so I won't repeat that here. Lots of the original work was
done by people putting computers in

cars for navigation and entertainment purposes.

I want to do typical underway interaction with the Nav software
(OziExplorer etc) with switches that are

appropriate to the cockpit environment, not with any conventional
keyboard / mouse / trackball etc. I

would like a nice, solid, definitive switch CLICK with one hand on the
wheel in rough weather!

I would like to discuss this Cockpit design stuff with anyone who has
done some of this or who is

contemplating it. There are a few obvious questions that don't apply
to the CarComputer guys:

- Salt-spray proof(resistant) switches (Much is known about this,
right??)
- Salt-Spray resistant joysticks / boots etc.
- Vibration-resistant methods of switch connection and wiring.
- Control Panel layouts: grouping / location of functions etc.

OK, I have a background in computers / software / electronics /
industrial controls. I will be

prototyping this stuff for the next, um, 5 months or so before I
relocate to where I will start looking

for a nice old boat!

Any pointers to information / discussions / ideas / opinions
appreciated!

Regards, Terry King ...On The Mediterranean in Carthage

On Mar 7, 8:53 pm, "HarryV" wrote:
For panels tryhttp://www.frontpanelexpress.com/

Thanks HarryV. I've seen ads about those but never used them. I
understand they are aluminum anodized panels with mechanically/CNC
engraved lettering and holes. Has anyone used these? In a Marine
environment?

I LIKE engraved panels.. I had several done in Formica and Aluminum
for Broadcast and Test Equipment I designed, years ago. The engraved
'Formica' multilayer plastic panels stood up very well in panels used/
abused by 24-7 Rabid Disk Jockeys. Probably OK for Salt Water....

posted to rec.boats.electronics

On 8 Mar 2007 05:06:43 -0800, "
wrote:

On Mar 7, 8:53 pm, "HarryV" wrote:
For panels tryhttp://www.frontpanelexpress.com/

Thanks HarryV. I've seen ads about those but never used them. I
understand they are aluminum anodized panels with mechanically/CNC
engraved lettering and holes. Has anyone used these? In a Marine
environment?

I've used them at work many times - very nice product and fast
delivery.

The only problem is that they make exactly what I ask for, rather than
what I want. :-) (Lettering defaults to black fill, and I forgot to
change it to white on a recent job.)

I haven't used any of their panels in a marine or outdoors application
yet.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI Vancouver BC, Canada
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
posted to rec.boats.electronics

Thanks HarryV. I've seen ads about those but never used them. I
understand they are aluminum anodized panels with mechanically/CNC
engraved lettering and holes. Has anyone used these? In a Marine
environment?

I've used them at work many times - very nice product and fast
delivery.

Peter etal, Are the 'filled colored' letters epoxy??

So if the 'fill' was not perfect, we'd have an exposed edge of
recently-milled aluminum with an epoxy fill on it, is this true??

Anyone have an idea of how that would hold up in salt-spray??

If it was anodized AFTER milling it would probably be fine....

On the other hand, 'raw' aluminum lettering milled into a darked
anodized aluminum plate would probably stand up pretty well, right??

I guess I'll ask the vendor(s) about use of this panel technology in
Salt Spray.

This DOES make me think that the engraved laminated plastic panels
(with a metal backing for strength) may be the best long-term
solution.

Meanwhile, anybody into the Electronics part???

posted to rec.boats.electronics

On 10 Mar 2007 00:07:12 -0800, "
wrote:

Peter etal, Are the 'filled colored' letters epoxy??

Don't know - they may say something on their website

So if the 'fill' was not perfect, we'd have an exposed edge of
recently-milled aluminum with an epoxy fill on it, is this true??

Yes.

Anyone have an idea of how that would hold up in salt-spray??

If it was anodized AFTER milling it would probably be fine....

They start with pre-anodized panels, so the edges and holes are bright
milled finish.

On the other hand, 'raw' aluminum lettering milled into a darked
anodized aluminum plate would probably stand up pretty well, right??

Yes. They will do unfilled lettering if you want. (I once asked for
unfilled lettering on a clear anodized panel - they asked if that was
really what I wanted, since the lettering would be hard to read.)

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca