posted to rec.boats.electronics
[email protected] terry@terryking.us is offline

Default Building custom Cockpit control panels / Computer controls

Hello,
Is anyone here involved in building their own Control Panels for new
or old boat construction?

I have built a couple of inboard boats, and made typical metal-panel,
switch and instrument control panels that worked out OK... But now I'm
looking to do a modern approach for a larger boat (probably a rebuild/
upgrade).

I want to build operator controls that combine several things:

- Conventional mechanical/hydraulic steering, throttle, forward/
reverse controls
- Conventional Engine / Systems instrumentation and switches

- Computer-based display(s) and Human Interface:
- For Computer-based navigation
- For Computer-based monitoring and logging of details of onboard
systems, temperatures, etc.
- For At-Anchor activities such as checking email.

I will combine an LCD display in the cockpit (with, hopefully, good
waterproofing, isolation,

light/reflection properties etc), with a somewhat conventional-looking
control panel with buttons, toggle

and other switches, and (perhaps) a "joystick". These interface
devices will be connected to an onboard

computer system running conventional PC navigation and other
software. There are available devices that

can take up to 50 or so switch closures and joysticks and present them
to the PC over a single USB

connection. (Example: http://www.ultimarc.com/ipac1.html)

There has been lots of discussion and work about onboard X86 computer
systems, software, power etc.

elsewhere so I won't repeat that here. Lots of the original work was
done by people putting computers in

cars for navigation and entertainment purposes.

I want to do typical underway interaction with the Nav software
(OziExplorer etc) with switches that are

appropriate to the cockpit environment, not with any conventional
keyboard / mouse / trackball etc. I

would like a nice, solid, definitive switch CLICK with one hand on the
wheel in rough weather!

I would like to discuss this Cockpit design stuff with anyone who has
done some of this or who is

contemplating it. There are a few obvious questions that don't apply
to the CarComputer guys:

- Salt-spray proof(resistant) switches (Much is known about this,
right??)
- Salt-Spray resistant joysticks / boots etc.
- Vibration-resistant methods of switch connection and wiring.
- Control Panel layouts: grouping / location of functions etc.

OK, I have a background in computers / software / electronics /
industrial controls. I will be

prototyping this stuff for the next, um, 5 months or so before I
relocate to where I will start looking

for a nice old boat!

Any pointers to information / discussions / ideas / opinions
appreciated!

Regards, Terry King ...On The Mediterranean in Carthage