posted to rec.boats.electronics
rb rb is offline

Default another question on bulbs

You guys did great on the bulb charts for me. Thanks. Now, new question:

Can I direct substitute a 1156R LED with a filament type 1156 bulb? Some
sources speak to a resistor between the bulb socket and the LED. But, I'm
wondering if the resistor is built into the 1156R LED, since it obviously
plugs into the same socket the 1156 filament type bulb does.

Where's a good place to find an inexpensive socket for the 1156 bulbs?

posted to rec.boats.electronics

RB,

If it calls itself an 1156* bulb, it better be an 1156 (meaning it fits
that base and produces 36 candle power on a 13.5v source).

You can probably find a socket at any autoparts store, but you most
likely will have to solder a ground on the base. Most places these
sockets are used, they get pressed into a steel reflector.

Matt
--
target of diversity
victim of affirmative action

rb wrote:
You guys did great on the bulb charts for me. Thanks. Now, new question:

Can I direct substitute a 1156R LED with a filament type 1156 bulb? Some
sources speak to a resistor between the bulb socket and the LED. But, I'm
wondering if the resistor is built into the 1156R LED, since it obviously
plugs into the same socket the 1156 filament type bulb does.

Where's a good place to find an inexpensive socket for the 1156 bulbs?

posted to rec.boats.electronics
rb rb is offline

It does, but it's a 1156R LED. They're made to replace the filament bulbs,
so guess it has an internal resistor. Maybe that's what the R stands for.

"rb" wrote in message news:mcfvh.2864$ch1.964@bigfe9...
It does, but it's a 1156R LED. They're made to replace the filament

bulbs,
so guess it has an internal resistor. Maybe that's what the R stands for.

OK, after a few minutes of "Googling" it appears that the "R" (as in
other lamp types) stands for RED. The LED (also called 1156R) fits the same
socket, and glows red, but with less current draw. The same vendor sells a
"resistor pack" to use with the LED version to increase current draw to
match a standard "filament" type 1156R.
Now, this is my guess, that IF an LED type 1156R is used with the
"resistor pack" (in parallel with the lamp, I presume), then the resistor
pack should be removed if a standard filament lamp is the replacement.
Apparently some circuits (such as automobile turn signals) use the lamp
overall current draw to control the flashing frequency.

Does any of that make sense?
Old Chief Lynn

posted to rec.boats.electronics

Does any of that make sense?
Old Chief Lynn

Certainly fitting a low power, very expensive LED 'bulb' to a vehicle
and then having to fit an additional load to make it draw the same
current as a normal bulb so that the flasher relay still works strikes
me as complete lunacy and the reserve of misguided fashionistas with
more cents than sense!

posted to rec.boats.electronics
rb rb is offline

In general, the LED bulbs which replace common filament bulbs, give approx
twice the light, run cooler, and are supposed to last 10 times longer than
their filament counterpart.

My impression is that the resistor is in series, so that would probably
serve to limit or reduce current draw.

I finally got my answer, though. Found some on Ebay and they say they're
direct plugin. So, if any resistor or whatever is required, it's internal
to these 1156 replacements: 280074315883

"rb" wrote in message
In general, the LED bulbs which replace common filament bulbs, give approx
twice the light, run cooler, and are supposed to last 10 times longer than
their filament counterpart.

My impression is that the resistor is in series, so that would probably
serve to limit or reduce current draw.

I finally got my answer, though. Found some on Ebay and they say they're
direct plugin. So, if any resistor or whatever is required, it's internal
to these 1156 replacements: 280074315883

Yes, you are correct about the resistor in the application you are talking
about.

I think the external resistor pack business applies to using the LED version
as a
REPLACEMENT for an 1156 where current draw must be higher than the LED
version draws and similar to the original. (as in an auto turn signal
application)

Sort of a silly application that would be, I'd think, but no one asked my
opinion.

grin
Old Chief Lynn

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 10:30:23 -0600, "rb" wrote:

You guys did great on the bulb charts for me. Thanks. Now, new question:

Can I direct substitute a 1156R LED with a filament type 1156 bulb? Some
sources speak to a resistor between the bulb socket and the LED. But, I'm
wondering if the resistor is built into the 1156R LED, since it obviously
plugs into the same socket the 1156 filament type bulb does.

Where's a good place to find an inexpensive socket for the 1156 bulbs?

A 1156 LED bulb would be plug compatible with a 1156 bulb from a
voltage stance. No extra external resisters needed as when the 1156
LED bulb was made, they took that into account and put any needed
resisters into the LED bulb its self.

However, as you are asking this in a Boat forum, might also add:
Light bulbs emit light in all directions, while the replacement LED
bulbs tend to be designed for the Auto market, and emit light just out
the top of them. This works if you put one of these into say a stop
of backup light as most of the auto applications point the top of the
bulb toward where they want the light to go.

But, in a boat application, I have seen many sockets where the bulb
looks to have its light come out the side of the bulb. If you put one
of the LED bulbs in that type of fixture, suspect it would not give
very satisfactory results. Have seen ones that have LEDs all around
for that type of application. Just be aware.

Good place to find inexpensive sockets? How about an Auto junk yard.
They should have LOTS of them :-)

Hope this helps.
-al-

posted to rec.boats.electronics

LEDs have the advantage of coming on NOW, rather than a tenth of as second or more
later like incandescents. Some cars have an LED third brake light and incandescent left
and right brake lights. The difference is quite apparent.

Why is this important? At 70 MPH, the guy behind you covers 10.2 feet in that 10th of
a second. On my mid-sized SUV, that's the difference between my back bumper and where
my knees are.