posted to rec.boats.building
RLM RLM is offline

Default circuit for running two bulbs from one run of 2 conductor wire?

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 09:01:31 +0000, ray lunder wrote:

I saw this once using an off-on-off 3 pole switch (? it had 6 lugs)
and some diodes but I can't remember where. The switch is connected to
a 2 conductor wire that goes to a lense with two different bulbs in
it. In one switch position one bulb lights, in the other position the
first bulb goes off and the second bulbs lights instead. (the bulbs
could be different wattage or color). In the center position both
bulbs are off. You saved one wire run. Any ideas?

You will have to COPY and PASTE diagrams to a text editor such as
'Notepad' with fixed font to read. No diodes required.

DPDT Switch

Up position Center Position Down position

A-B connected None connectred B-C connected
D-E connected E-F connected

A D A D A D
) )
)------)
) ) ) ) B E
B E B) E) ) )
)------) )-------)
) )
C F C F C F

One light or the other, but only one at a time using SPDT switch.

Center off
Switch in up position L1 ON while L2 is Off
Switch in down position L2 ON while L1 is Off
Each light can be a different wattage.

A______________L1_____

Positive------ B |

C_______________L2___|________Neg.

SPDT switch On-Off-On

A,B,C, = terminals on switch
L1 = light or load 1
L2 = light or load 2

Dim or Bright lighting

Center off
Up position = L1 on
Bottom position both L1 & L2 on

This could be used in up position only anchor light is on.
In the down position running lights & anchor lights are on
when L1 = anchor light, L2 = port & starboard running lights.

Could also be used for a dim light in cabin in up position or
a brighten cabin where both lights are on in the down position
L1 and L2 can be different wattages or LEDs w/resistors.

j---A D
r B-jumper-E----- Positive

|---C F
| |
| |
L1 L2
| |
Neg.________________|________|

DPDT switch. On-Off-On
Jumper between A & C terminals on one side.
Jumper between B & E terminals
A,B,C,D,E,F = terminals on switch
L1 & L2 are lights or load

Small DC Motor Reverser
Using DPDT Switch
on-off-on

Polarity changes on motor as switch is
moved from top to bottom position.
Motor off in center position.

A D
\ /
\ /
\ /
\ /
Neg. B / E Pos.
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
C F
| |
| |
| |
|____M____|

A,B,C,D,E,F = terminals on switch
M = small DC motor (perm. magnet w/two poles, non-grounded frame)
May want small capacitor across motor terminals.

Hope this helps.

RLM wrote:

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 09:01:31 +0000, ray lunder wrote:
I saw this once using an off-on-off 3 pole switch (? it had 6 lugs)
and some diodes but I can't remember where. The switch is connected to
a 2 conductor wire that goes to a lense with two different bulbs in
it. [...]

You will have to COPY and PASTE diagrams to a text editor such as
'Notepad' with fixed font to read. No diodes required.

I think the key point in the original question was that 2 conductor wire.
Your diagrams seemed to need three conductors. If there can be three
conductors between the switch and the bulbs, your solution works fine (or
if you can use something else (metal hull?) for return). But with only two
wires available, some trickery is needed. The solution with 2 diodes is
probably the simplest.

- Heikki

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 20:00:25 +0200, Heikki wrote:

RLM wrote:

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 09:01:31 +0000, ray lunder wrote:
I saw this once using an off-on-off 3 pole switch (? it had 6 lugs)
and some diodes but I can't remember where. The switch is connected to
a 2 conductor wire that goes to a lense with two different bulbs in
it. [...]

You will have to COPY and PASTE diagrams to a text editor such as
'Notepad' with fixed font to read. No diodes required.

I think the key point in the original question was that 2 conductor wire.
Your diagrams seemed to need three conductors. If there can be three
conductors between the switch and the bulbs, your solution works fine (or
if you can use something else (metal hull?) for return). But with only two
wires available, some trickery is needed. The solution with 2 diodes is
probably the simplest.

- Heikki

Copy and paste to notepad. This should work.
I see what you mean now! Thanks, I'll remember that.

A D
\ /
\ /
\ /