posted to rec.boats.electronics
Al Thomason Al Thomason is offline

Default another question on bulbs

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 10:30:23 -0600, "rb" wrote:

You guys did great on the bulb charts for me. Thanks. Now, new question:

Can I direct substitute a 1156R LED with a filament type 1156 bulb? Some
sources speak to a resistor between the bulb socket and the LED. But, I'm
wondering if the resistor is built into the 1156R LED, since it obviously
plugs into the same socket the 1156 filament type bulb does.

Where's a good place to find an inexpensive socket for the 1156 bulbs?

A 1156 LED bulb would be plug compatible with a 1156 bulb from a
voltage stance. No extra external resisters needed as when the 1156
LED bulb was made, they took that into account and put any needed
resisters into the LED bulb its self.

However, as you are asking this in a Boat forum, might also add:
Light bulbs emit light in all directions, while the replacement LED
bulbs tend to be designed for the Auto market, and emit light just out
the top of them. This works if you put one of these into say a stop
of backup light as most of the auto applications point the top of the
bulb toward where they want the light to go.

But, in a boat application, I have seen many sockets where the bulb
looks to have its light come out the side of the bulb. If you put one
of the LED bulbs in that type of fixture, suspect it would not give
very satisfactory results. Have seen ones that have LEDs all around
for that type of application. Just be aware.

Good place to find inexpensive sockets? How about an Auto junk yard.
They should have LOTS of them :-)

Hope this helps.
-al-