posted to rec.boats.electronics
b393capt

Default Raymarine Raytech RNS 6.0

I noticed in the Raymarine announcement for version 6.0, that you can
now plug your PC directly into the 8-port hub (why not the 2 port hub
or direct to the E series ??), and do away with hsb2 and/or NMEA
connections.

This is going to simply things on my new boat.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
TomS

From what I've heard RNS 6.0 will be available march-april 06.
If connected to a E-series display throug a ethernet connection
all data, both numerical data and radar-, plotter- and fishfinder images
will be transfered to the PC throug one only wire. Like any
E-Series diplay on the SeaTalk HS network (=ethernet).
Navionics charts on CF plugged into a E-Series display will be available
to the PC and you'll also have full control of the system (radar etc.)
A external CF reader will aso be availabel so that you can take your laptop
home and do route planning at home, using the same charts.
According to my information the charts can not be passed from the PC
to the E-Series diplays, but RNS 6.0 will probably also support other types
of charts BSB etc like the older versions RNS 5.0.

TomS

"b393capt" wrote in message
oups.com...
I noticed in the Raymarine announcement for version 6.0, that you can
now plug your PC directly into the 8-port hub (why not the 2 port hub
or direct to the E series ??), and do away with hsb2 and/or NMEA
connections.

This is going to simply things on my new boat.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
krj

TomS wrote:
From what I've heard RNS 6.0 will be available march-april 06.
If connected to a E-series display throug a ethernet connection
all data, both numerical data and radar-, plotter- and fishfinder images
will be transfered to the PC throug one only wire. Like any
E-Series diplay on the SeaTalk HS network (=ethernet).
Navionics charts on CF plugged into a E-Series display will be available
to the PC and you'll also have full control of the system (radar etc.)
A external CF reader will aso be availabel so that you can take your laptop
home and do route planning at home, using the same charts.
According to my information the charts can not be passed from the PC
to the E-Series diplays, but RNS 6.0 will probably also support other types
of charts BSB etc like the older versions RNS 5.0.

TomS

"b393capt" wrote in message
oups.com...

I noticed in the Raymarine announcement for version 6.0, that you can
now plug your PC directly into the 8-port hub (why not the 2 port hub
or direct to the E series ??), and do away with hsb2 and/or NMEA
connections.

This is going to simply things on my new boat.

Raymarine 6.0 will support both raster and vector charts. I have a beta
version and use both maptech and softchart with it.
krj
posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry

"Bjarke Christensen" (nej, det skal selvfølgelig
være med K da jeg er dansker) wrote in news:4415cbe0$0$60781$157c6196
@dreader1.cybercity.dk:

Is Garmins new "network" also plain ethernet ?

Given marine electronics manufacturers' history of proprietary crapware
designed specifically to thwart hooking "their" equipment up to "our"
equipment, I doubt any of it is going to be "plain ethernet" just any ol'
router TCP/IP network is going to be compatible with.

Hell, even some of the NMEA 0183 crapware can't talk to each other. (See
recent thread trying to get a Garmin GPS to talk to a NMEA plotter.)

You'll need a special box, of course, like always. 183 Euros plus layers
of tax and shipping....

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bill Kearney

I don't know, but am speculating it will require some expensive special
"box" like they have always done to us in the past. It would be nice if

it
would. There's 4 ports open on my wireless router in the boat...(c;

Their cables have weatherproof covers but the connector inside is just an
RJ45. So does their switch. That alone makes it worth considering instead
of a non-marine piece of consumer electronics junk.

Don't know if it's plain ethernet or not. But considering that Raytech v6
is supposed to be able to use plain ethernet from a PC it seems reasonable
to think the wire protocol and connectors are using ethernet. While it may
not be routable TCP or UDP it would be rather odd to see them trying to use
something completely non-standard at this point in time; given the costs to
us plain ethernet chipsets make no economic sense to reinvent the wheel.

posted to rec.boats.electronics
John Proctor

@dreader2.cybercity.dk:

So if you plug in the RJ's in a ordinary ethernet hub/switch it will
not work ??

I don't know, but am speculating it will require some expensive special
"box" like they have always done to us in the past. It would be nice
if it would. There's 4 ports open on my wireless router in the
boat...(c;

Larry and others,

You have to remember that ethernet is much much more than the physical
layer. Just look at the number of RFC documents specifying all the
protocols which run over a TCP/IP network!

How the data is encpsulated either via a connection sequenced protocol
(TCP/IP) or via a connectionless protocol (UDP) is basically up to the
application. NMEA is a connectionless protocol and therefore it may be
a good assumption that the ethernet variant will be likewise. However,
with radar image data being sent over it is highly likely that some
form of sequencing would be required.

Raymarine is not the only game in town as far as ethernet connectivity
goes just look at FURUNO's NavNet system and MaxSea software. Like has
been said it would take a very deep pocketed development team not to
take advantage of the TCP/IP stacks available for their chosen embedded
platform.

--
Regards,
John D Proctor

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bill Kearney

I noticed in the Raymarine announcement for version 6.0

So when is this actually going to ship?

Likewise, when is Navionics going to ship NavPlanner?

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bill Kearney

Oh, I know all that.....but the protocols are STANDARDIZED so you and I
and
everyone else on the net can use them without paying someone more for

their
proprietary "box".

The Internet != Ethernet. What gets routed between PCs and webservers is
not necessarily the same stuff that might be present on a device-to-device
subnet. There's all manner of ways to shuffle data across an ethernet wire,
only two of which are commonly used on "The Internet". IPX, AppleTalk,
DecNet are but a few. And a switch may well have to be aware of the
protocol in order to properly handle the packets.

This proprietary bull**** is what burns my ass. Boaters are wasting
millions trying to get data out of A's crapware so they can see it on B's
crapware.

So true. I liken it to making the customers swim out to an island and then
chumming the waters to keep them from leaving once they discover how crappy
the accomodations turned out to be. More and more these days customers are
getting wise to that sort of tactic and are refusing to go along with it.

NMEA's *******ization just makes another obstacle.

True, but a lot of that '*******ization' is to implement what a basic
protocol does not provide. In the case of NMEA 0813 devices it appears to
be a mix of going beyond the spec and half-assing it. One might hope NMEA
2000 will have less of this foolishness.

Of course, like always, it's about the money....

Or about making sure your devices work in an expected fashion. Trying to do
what customers want when the underlying spec doesn't handle it often means
going beyond the spec. They're not *always* out to screw the customers, it
just seems that way when hindsight is involved.

-Bill Kearney

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bill Kearney

My thoughts too. And then they will (as usual) either keep it a secreet og
try to worry us with arguments like "specially tested for marine use"

making
almost impossible for other companies to sell even a equally waterproof
ethernet switch.

I'm all for the idea of using equipment that's designed for use in a marine
environment. The last thing I want when I jump in the boat after a long
work week is to discover some cheapie consumer-grade device has gotten
corroded and shorted out my electrical system in an attempt to save itself.
But coming a close second is not getting reamed paying for "marine" stuff.
Especially when it's tweaked to be proprietary.

Best price I've seen on it thus far has been around $230. That's a bit of a
premium for an 8 port ethernet switch but not egregiously so if it's got a
decent switch inside it. But seeing as boating environment isn't likely to
be a bandwidth hog they may have just slapped a low-end switch in there.
Anyone know what's actually in there?

Once we get the boat in the water I'll see if our E-80 works with a regular
ethernet switch. But until they actually get around to shipping Raytech v6
there won't be anything on the wire to packet sniff with Ethereal.