posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bill Kearney

Default Raymarine Raytech RNS 6.0

I don't know, but am speculating it will require some expensive special
"box" like they have always done to us in the past. It would be nice if

it
would. There's 4 ports open on my wireless router in the boat...(c;

Their cables have weatherproof covers but the connector inside is just an
RJ45. So does their switch. That alone makes it worth considering instead
of a non-marine piece of consumer electronics junk.

Don't know if it's plain ethernet or not. But considering that Raytech v6
is supposed to be able to use plain ethernet from a PC it seems reasonable
to think the wire protocol and connectors are using ethernet. While it may
not be routable TCP or UDP it would be rather odd to see them trying to use
something completely non-standard at this point in time; given the costs to
us plain ethernet chipsets make no economic sense to reinvent the wheel.