posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bill Kearney

Default Raymarine Raytech RNS 6.0

My thoughts too. And then they will (as usual) either keep it a secreet og
try to worry us with arguments like "specially tested for marine use"

making
almost impossible for other companies to sell even a equally waterproof
ethernet switch.

I'm all for the idea of using equipment that's designed for use in a marine
environment. The last thing I want when I jump in the boat after a long
work week is to discover some cheapie consumer-grade device has gotten
corroded and shorted out my electrical system in an attempt to save itself.
But coming a close second is not getting reamed paying for "marine" stuff.
Especially when it's tweaked to be proprietary.

Best price I've seen on it thus far has been around $230. That's a bit of a
premium for an 8 port ethernet switch but not egregiously so if it's got a
decent switch inside it. But seeing as boating environment isn't likely to
be a bandwidth hog they may have just slapped a low-end switch in there.
Anyone know what's actually in there?

Once we get the boat in the water I'll see if our E-80 works with a regular
ethernet switch. But until they actually get around to shipping Raytech v6
there won't be anything on the wire to packet sniff with Ethereal.