posted to rec.boats.electronics
Geert Maene

Default where to find chart symbols

Does anyone kwos where I can find the IHO symbols & abbrevevations. I
need this to edit my self scanned electronic chart.
--
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
SEND FROM SAILINGVESSEL

LUNATIC

MMSI : 205 6793 00
call sign : OS 6793
Tel Number : + 32 496 23 21 21
Tel Number : + 32 50 32 32 60
e-mail :
Captain : Geert Maene
===============================
posted to rec.boats.electronics
Peter Bennett

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 11:59:12 GMT, Geert Maene
wrote:

Does anyone kwos where I can find the IHO symbols & abbrevevations. I
need this to edit my self scanned electronic chart.

Both the Canadian and US charting authorities publish booklets called
"Chart 1 - Symbols and Abbreviations" (each showing their own national
quirks, as well as the international stuff).

I would expect that chart authorities in other countries to have
similar publications, and that they would be available wherever you
buy charts.

--
Peter Bennett VE7CEI
email: peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

wrote:

Does anyone kwos where I can find the IHO symbols & abbrevevations. I
need this to edit my self scanned electronic chart.

Both the Canadian and US charting authorities publish booklets called
"Chart 1 - Symbols and Abbreviations" (each showing their own national
quirks, as well as the international stuff).

I would expect that chart authorities in other countries to have
similar publications, and that they would be available wherever you
buy charts.

I have the same booklet in paper. But I want the symbols electronic so I
can use them for chart edeting.

--
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
SEND FROM SAILINGVESSEL

LUNATIC

MMSI : 205 6793 00
call sign : OS 6793
Tel Number : + 32 496 23 21 21
Tel Number : + 32 50 32 32 60
e-mail :
Captain : Geert Maene
===============================
posted to rec.boats.electronics
Wayne.B

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 16:43:15 GMT, Geert Maene
wrote:

I have the same booklet in paper. But I want the symbols electronic so I
can use them for chart edeting.

Perhaps you could scan them in?

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Keith

Here's chart #1 in .pdf format. Maybe you could capture them from
there?
http://164.214.12.145/pubs/pubs_j_sh...id= 3&rid=164

posted to rec.boats.electronics
Jack Erbes

Geert Maene wrote:

Does anyone kwos where I can find the IHO symbols & abbrevevations. I
need this to edit my self scanned electronic chart.

That's an interesting question, I wonder about a reference for the IHO
symbols recently myself. I can't find an obvious reference he

http://www.iho.shom.fr/

of he

http://www.iho.shom.fr/PUBLICATIONS/S-55/S_55.htm

Is there a manual or document int here somewhere that is sort of like
the NOAA Chart #1?

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)

Jack Erbes wrote:
Geert Maene wrote:

Does anyone kwos where I can find the IHO symbols & abbrevevations. I
need this to edit my self scanned electronic chart.

That's an interesting question, I wonder about a reference for the IHO
symbols recently myself. I can't find an obvious reference he

http://www.iho.shom.fr/

of he

http://www.iho.shom.fr/PUBLICATIONS/S-55/S_55.htm

Is there a manual or document int here somewhere that is sort of like
the NOAA Chart #1?

Jack

The NOAA Chart #1 is the official document oh the IHO. The symbols are
scanned. Bu who has the cut out symbols?

--
Geert Maene.

Jack Erbes wrote:
Geert Maene wrote:

Does anyone kwos where I can find the IHO symbols & abbrevevations. I
need this to edit my self scanned electronic chart.

That's an interesting question, I wonder about a reference for the IHO
symbols recently myself. I can't find an obvious reference he

http://www.iho.shom.fr/

of he

http://www.iho.shom.fr/PUBLICATIONS/S-55/S_55.htm

Is there a manual or document int here somewhere that is sort of like
the NOAA Chart #1?

Jack

The NOAA Chart #1 is the official IHO document with all the symbols. At
least this is a scan of all the symbols. Now we have to find somebody ho
has cut out these symbols.