Default Where To Find LARGE Screwdriver for Lower Unit Plugs?

I would like to know where I can find a large screwdriver for the
1/2"-wide plugs in the lower unit. I am currently using a 3/8"
screwdriver. It works "OK". But I have a tendency to damage the plug
if the screwdriver doesn't match the size of the plug. I have a
feeling that the safest way to work with the 1/2" plugs is to use a
1/2" screwdriver. Unfortunately, I cannot find it in stores like Home
Depot or Sears; the largest one that they have is 3/8" that I have
already had. Can someone tell me where to get a large 1/2"
screwdriver?

Thanks.

Jay Chan

Lord Reginald Smithers

Jay,
You can order this online.

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....ip+Screwdriver

wrote in message
oups.com...
I would like to know where I can find a large screwdriver for the
1/2"-wide plugs in the lower unit. I am currently using a 3/8"
screwdriver. It works "OK". But I have a tendency to damage the plug
if the screwdriver doesn't match the size of the plug. I have a
feeling that the safest way to work with the 1/2" plugs is to use a
1/2" screwdriver. Unfortunately, I cannot find it in stores like Home
Depot or Sears; the largest one that they have is 3/8" that I have
already had. Can someone tell me where to get a large 1/2"
screwdriver?

Thanks.

Jay Chan

Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...
I would like to know where I can find a large screwdriver for the
1/2"-wide plugs in the lower unit. I am currently using a 3/8"
screwdriver. It works "OK". But I have a tendency to damage the plug
if the screwdriver doesn't match the size of the plug. I have a
feeling that the safest way to work with the 1/2" plugs is to use a
1/2" screwdriver. Unfortunately, I cannot find it in stores like Home
Depot or Sears; the largest one that they have is 3/8" that I have
already had. Can someone tell me where to get a large 1/2"
screwdriver?

Thanks.

Jay Chan

Jay, take a VERY close look at the slots in those plugs. If they seem deeper
in the center than at the edges, they're supposed to be removed with
something called a DZUS driver. My Johnson outboard's drain plugs are like
this, and a normal screwdriver (which you can get at Sears, by the way) will
mess up the slots.

This is the tool, from Snap-On:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....store&tool=all

If that link doesn't work, go to http://www.snap-on.com/ and search for part
number S6180.

Butch Davis

The Harbor Freight set looks like a good way. However, if you don't have a
use for all the other tools you can buy a tierod end socket at Sears and use
a rachet or breakover bar on the drain screw. If the store does not have it
try Sears on line.

Of course real men take it to the shop. :=)))

Butch
"Lord Reginald Smithers" Ask me about my driveway leading up to my manor.
wrote in message . ..
Jay,
You can order this online.

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....ip+Screwdriver

wrote in message
oups.com...
I would like to know where I can find a large screwdriver for the
1/2"-wide plugs in the lower unit. I am currently using a 3/8"
screwdriver. It works "OK". But I have a tendency to damage the plug
if the screwdriver doesn't match the size of the plug. I have a
feeling that the safest way to work with the 1/2" plugs is to use a
1/2" screwdriver. Unfortunately, I cannot find it in stores like Home
Depot or Sears; the largest one that they have is 3/8" that I have
already had. Can someone tell me where to get a large 1/2"
screwdriver?

Thanks.

Jay Chan

Skipper

Butch Davis wrote:

The Harbor Freight set looks like a good way. However, if you don't have a
use for all the other tools you can buy a tierod end socket at Sears and use
a rachet or breakover bar on the drain screw. If the store does not have it
try Sears on line.

Sears should be boycotted because of their latest policy of stiffing
customers asking for refunds or exchanges, and their new campaign
against Christmas. Additionally, their CEO, Alan Lacy, is pushing the
company to switch to products manufactured in China. Sears management is
*not* customer friendly these days.

--
Skipper

You can get the same thing from Snap-On or Mac for more money but this
will do the trick. Great for loosening phillip screws that hold lower unit
together also.

Thanks for the link. It seems to be exactly what I need:
o It has a 1/2" blade that matches the slot size of the plug.
o Its full length looks like quite short that is perfect for the
limited room available for removing the drain plug at the bottom of the
lower unit. That drain plug is pointing kind of downward and the lower
unit is almost touching the ground. These limits the size of a
screwdrive that I can use unless I tilt the motor up.

I need to buy something from Harbor Freight anyway because I have heard
a lot of good things (and bad things) about that place and I want to
try that place to see for myself.

Jay Chan

Jay, take a VERY close look at the slots in those plugs. If they seem deeper
in the center than at the edges, they're supposed to be removed with
something called a DZUS driver. My Johnson outboard's drain plugs are like
this, and a normal screwdriver (which you can get at Sears, by the way) will
mess up the slots.

I don't think the plug is like what you have described if I remember
this correctly. I will double check it before I order the screwdriver
from Harbor Freight.

Thanks for the warning though.

Jay Chan