posted to rec.boats.building
Mike Sr.

Default Need to find a source for anodizing.

HELP!!!
I'm in the process of rebuilding a 1973 Chrysler 70 HP outboard. It's
in great shape with good compression and ignition. I've replaced the
fuel pump diaphram which is one of the two things wrong with the
rebuild. The second item is a little tougher. The water pump housing
had a lot of corrosion in the wall of the two inch diameter bore.
Since the impeller is rubber, I went ahead and carefully sanded out the
corrosion keeping the bore as round as possible.

Now I need to find a source for "hard anodizing"the aluminum housing so
the impeller doesn't wear the surface and also keep it from corroding
again. I've emailed all the sources found in a Google search but have
had none respond to my one-off inquiry. If you know of any sources for
this type of work pls supply a method of contact.

Tx & Regards

Mike Oliver
Pensacola, Florida

posted to rec.boats.building
Bob La Londe

I have no clue about your anodizing request, but I would be a bit concerned
about the how the irregular opening would wear the impeller. I suppose you
could keep a very close eye on your water pressure and plan to replace the
impeller often if indicated, but I think I would do some searching on EBAY
and maybe some other sources to see if I could find a good water pump
housing.

I have a Force 50 outboard that runs very good and when I trashed a lower
unit by hitting a submerged log I was able to find a complete lower unit on
Ebay for about $100 dollars. I dropped a new impeller in the housing and
replaced all the seals in the lower unit and I was good to go.

You may also consider checking to see if the complete water pump is still
available from any sources. Ten Killer Marine comes to mind as one place to
check. I know on my little Force I can still buy the water pump housing,
plate, and impellor locally. (Mine is a little newer.)

ups.com...