Tamaroak

Default Great Loop chart and guidebook recommendations

We are doing to Great Loop next summer including the part to Ottawa and
the Rideau canal and I am beginning the preparation. (Anyone want to
rent a nice house in Minnesota for a year?) Part of this is to sort
through the mountains of cruising guides and get used or new ones that
are recommended by people who have used them.

Another is to find some used Wide C Map NT+ chips of the route.

Capt. Jeff

The Rideau Canal is a great cruise. We did it a few years ago and
still remember it as one of our best trips ever. Their is an
organization called "Friends of the Rideau" that has a lot of good
material:

http://www.rideaufriends.com/

Assuming you go up through the NYS canal system, their guide is also on
the "must have" list:

http://www.canals.state.ny.us/exvac/cguide/index.html

We found that the most difficult charts to get in advance were for the
St Lawrence Seaway area going around Montreal. There is a good chart
book available however from the Canadian authorities that covers that
stretch and a lot more. Unfortunately I do not have it with me at the
moment but I think you may be able to get it he

http://www.pilothousecharts.com/Hudson.htm