Doug Dotson

Only a nut would try to run 1000 watts on a small boat.

"Falky foo" wrote in message
m...
solar power is inefficient, generators are noisy, wind generators are
expensive..

Plus, when you key down on 1000 watts what type of antenna are you going
be using? A yagi on your mast? Weird!

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 00:23:41 GMT, "Falky foo"
wrote:

Problem is powering a HF transmitter with enough wattage without
draining
your batteries.

=============================

Have you ever heard of:

- generators?
- alternators?
- solar panels?
- wind powered generators?

That's how most people do it except for the ocassional hand cranked
generator advocate.

Doug Dotson

wrote in message
Serious boat stuff is done in PACTOR for email and similar or good old
SSB
for position stuff or various nets. The email systems are actually pretty
sophisticated and involve a lot more than Pactor. But Pactor is pretty
well
required.

I see

But is it correct that pactor is a proprietary format?

Proprietary inasmuch as only SCS makes TNCs for it. PACTOR I is available
on many TNCs but PACTOR II and III are only available via the SCS TNCs.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

Doug Dotson

wrote in message
news
The 710 is an
SSB receiver that will work on the ham bands while the 706 is an amateur
radio that will work on the marine HF bands.

So which direction would you go above?

The trade offs are as follows"

HAM
Must have a General Class license.
Must have a radio that will do the ham bands.
email is free, but absolutely no commercial traffic.

Marine SSB
Must have a marine SSB rig.
Musr have a Ships Station License for the rig.
Must have a Restricted Radiotelephone Operators Permit for yourself.
Sailmail is $250/yr but you can do commercial traffic.

I went with both. An ICOM-M710 enabled for the ham bands. And I had
both Winlink (ham email) and Sailmail. The M710 is one of the few rigs that
can do the digital modes, such as PACTOR, at full power.

Doug, k3qt
s/v Callista

Larry W4CSC

krj wrote in
:

Larry,
How do I send an email to my non ham daughter in Orlando from 100 miles
north of the BVI with PSK31?
krj

I've forwarded messages via email (for free, not $250/year) for people I've
met on PSK31 (and other modes for that matter). All you need do is find a
ham friend ashore who has internet service. You text up the messages to
your daughter and send them to your scheduled ham ashore via any mode you
like, PSK31 included, then they simply cut and paste the message into an
email to your daughter, saving your replies to send back to you as 3rd
party traffic next time you have a sked with them.

OF course, this means you must have FRIENDS, not Sailmail business
acquaintenances for pay. Some boaters (including ones listed here) are too
damned independent for FRIENDS. You've met them, I'm sure.

If you need business comms, ham radio isn't the place, of course. That
hasn't changed.....

CRAZY Larry also likes the idea of all ham-radio-equipped boats constantly
transmitting their current position and data on another ham radio system
called APRS, invented by Bob Bruninga at the Naval Academy so they could
track lost cadets in Academy boats. Your daughter could just go to your
personal webpage for your callsign at:
http://www.findu.com/
From your very recent position report, she'd be relieved to see:
A - Your still afloat, have power, are "there" and have been recently heard
by an APRS reporting station in the network.
B - Haven't declared an emergency.
This, alone, would be very comforting, wouldn't it?

She doesn't have to be a ham to look at the webpage, only you do. Just
leave APRS running on the unused HF SSB rig with its packet modem when
you're not using it.

Silly me.....

Larry W4CSC

"Doug Dotson" dougdotson@NOSPAMcablespeedNOSPAMcom wrote in
:

Only a nut would try to run 1000 watts on a small boat.

Input or output? Input - Guilty...(c;

My 12V Tentec Hercules II (modified) only puts output about 650 watts at
13.8V/120 amps peak. Tuner is a Nye-Viking 3KW manual tuner feeding the
port shroud via the chain plate inside a cabinet. Anyone with a Hercules
II I can get you 15-20% more output easy....just get rid of the cheapies
inside.

POWER is our friend!....especially when the CHIPS ARE DOWN! Everyone said
it was LOUD on 40 and 75 meters! The CD player wasn't amused,
however....(sigh). Some cabin lights glowed quite nicely!

Dare ya to touch the mast.....(c;

I don't think the amp with the dual 4-1000As will fit through the hatch.
There's no 30A - 240VAC to run it on, anyways....

150 watts just sucks!

Nut.....(c;

Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 19:43:32 GMT

On 2005-02-23
said:
changed..... CRAZY Larry also likes the idea of all
ham-radio-equipped boats constantly transmitting their current
position and data on another ham radio system called APRS, invented
by Bob Bruninga at the Naval Academy so they could track lost
cadets in Academy boats. Your daughter could just go to your
personal webpage for your callsign at:
http://www.findu.com/
From your very recent position report, she'd be relieved to see:
A - Your still afloat, have power, are "there" and have been
recently heard by an APRS reporting station in the network.
B - Haven't declared an emergency.
This, alone, would be very comforting, wouldn't it?
She doesn't have to be a ham to look at the webpage, only you do.
Just leave APRS running on the unused HF SSB rig with its packet
modem when you're not using it.

wInlink gives you this and if you happen to have troubles with your
TNC operators on the maritime mobile service network can enter your
position into a database which is called shiptrack. Family and
friends back on shore can look at the shiptrack page and get your last
reported position even if you've had troubles with your digital
equipment if you've called into the net on ssb recently.
THe advantages of a pactor ii modem and winlink are that you'll be
able to email your daughter directly and get email. IF life keeps you
rather busy she can check the shiptrack page for your latest position
data. gives her peace of mind and comms with you. I wouldn't want to
rely on iffy skeds with a shorebound friend and cut and paste text
from psk to email. WIth your pactor box and the right rig it can scan
different ham bands for the one which gives you the best signal to one
of the winlink gateways to get your email out and in.

73

Richard Webb, amateur radio callsign nf5b
active on the Maritime Mobile service network, 14.300 mhz
REplace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real email

--

Any IC protected by a fast acting fuse will protect
the fuse by blowing first.
thuss

HF transmitters are very common on boats and only draw a lot of power
when transmitting and even then it's not enough to noticably discharge
a normal house battery bank.

Last time we sailed from California to Hawaii we used the HAM/SSB
nightly to talk on the PacSea net, get weather fax, and do phone
patches. Even with our lowly 12V 450amp house battery bank I never
really noticed needing to recharge more frequently than every third
day, which is about how often I would charge the batteries when sitting
at anchor.

-Todd

--
http://boatblogger/page/thuss
http://www.marinewireless.us

Falky foo wrote:
Problem is powering a HF transmitter with enough wattage without

draining
your batteries.

wrote in message
I have a general class ham license but have been out of
it a LONG time

I want to get back into some form of free ham radio
comms that would allow me to stay in touch with people
while living in an RV or boat

So.... I want something small and compact. And Im not
sure what "mode" of communications I want. I may want
some form of digital comms like packet or pactor....
not sure

Any advice on all this? What to get equip wise? What
modes to get into?

Doug Dotson

"thuss" wrote in message
oups.com...
HF transmitters are very common on boats and only draw a lot of power
when transmitting and even then it's not enough to noticably discharge
a normal house battery bank.

True on voice SSB. Digital modes pretty much are like AM. They draw max
power the entire time the transmitter is keyed.

Last time we sailed from California to Hawaii we used the HAM/SSB
nightly to talk on the PacSea net,

Not much power since SSB draws power on the peaks only.

get weather fax,

RX for fax is pretty low power anyway.

and do phone
patches.

Same as any voice mode. Low overall power.

Even with our lowly 12V 450amp house battery bank I never
really noticed needing to recharge more frequently than every third
day, which is about how often I would charge the batteries when sitting
at anchor.

Sounds about right. Even using the digital modes, the amount of time one is
on the
air is pretty small. Unless one is ragchewing for hours on end a marine SSB
or
ham on board is not a heavy hitter.

-Todd