Wayne.B

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 19:24:05 GMT, Larry W4CSC wrote:

I don't think the amp with the dual 4-1000As will fit through the hatch.
There's no 30A - 240VAC to run it on, anyways....

====================

I have 30 amp 240 on the boat, send it to me for testing. :-)

Larry W4CSC

Wayne.B wrote in
news
I have 30 amp 240 on the boat, send it to me for testing. :-)

That would work if we didn't turn the drive up to far...(c;

60A service would be more comfortable, though.

It'll run 6200V at around 950ma at full power. My math is a little fuzzy.
That's about a kilowatt, isn't it? The pole pig hooked up backwards for
the plate supply is quite noisy at this level. I took a piece of melted
RG-8A/U about a foot long to a ham club meeting. It doesn't melt RG-17.

All in good fun....back in the 60's a whole bunch of us kept building the
monster 4-1000 linears because the tubes/sockets/chimneys were free. When
10 meters was as dead as a doorknob, before 2 meter repeaters, we used to
fire them up into the Mosley beams and sit around chewing the rag late at
night across town (Sumter, SC, pop about 25000). There was no low-end VHF
TV to worry about tearing up. One night in the dead band we had a breaker
from Perth, Australia, the only other person we heard across the band. He
claimed we were all echoing like mad and 20 over S9. He had a little echo,
himself, at 250 watts. We had a great time working him and the hams he'd
called locally after first working us. The band wasn't dead, after all,
just abandoned.

By the way, in SC we have an unwritten ham radio rule. IF there's some
kind of official or unofficial net, net control stations are never allowed
to run enough power to actually hear them without straining. I never
figured that out but it's been that way since I came here as WB4THE back in
the mid 60's. Go figure....

Proprietary inasmuch as only SCS makes TNCs for it. PACTOR I is available
on many TNCs but PACTOR II and III are only available via the SCS TNCs.

Is it worth having equip that uses Pactor 2 and 3?
Me

In article ,
Larry W4CSC wrote:

It'll run 6200V at around 950ma at full power. My math is a little fuzzy.
That's about a kilowatt, isn't it?

No Larry, that's about 6Kw Input....Your amp must me really inefficent
if it takes that input to get a Kw output........

Me who knows how to do the math..........
Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
halibutslayer wrote:

Come to think of it I'm not sure if you even need a MROL if your vessel is
volunteerly equipped (not carrying more than 6 passengers, under 300 tons,
not a
tug over 26ft. etc.) Your boat still has to have proper station license.

You will need a Resticted Radiotelephone Operators Permit.....No Test,
just money, and good for your Lifetime...... and a Station License.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @

Doug Dotson

Absolutely! I know that Winlink has stopped supporting PACTOR I and I
suspect
that Sailmail has too or will soon. PACTOR I is 100 bits per second.
PACTOR-II
is 200 bits per second. PACTOR III can go much higher and is adaptive. I
generally
connectd at around 3400 BPS but it can go a bit higher with a really good
signal.

Doug

wrote in message
Proprietary inasmuch as only SCS makes TNCs for it. PACTOR I is available
on many TNCs but PACTOR II and III are only available via the SCS TNCs.

Is it worth having equip that uses Pactor 2 and 3?

thuss

Larry,

I was under the impression that pactor II or III were far more reliable
and allowed faster transmission rates thank PSK31, is that incorrect?

Thanks,
Todd

--
http://www.marinewireless.us
http://boatblogger.com

Larry W4CSC wrote:
The boaters have been sucked into the most overpriced,

proprietary-of-
course, digital mode, Pactor.

It's all nonsense. You can get the finest digital service on HF on

the
planet called PSK31....without buying more equipment, more modems,

more
wasted money....

I went with both. An ICOM-M710 enabled for the ham bands. And I had
both Winlink (ham email) and Sailmail. The M710 is one of the few rigs that
can do the digital modes, such as PACTOR, at full power.

OK Doug thanks

When I asked the question "what direction would you go"
..... I meant which rig would you go for.... i.e. a
ham rig that can do marine bands.... or a marine rig
that can do ham bands

I already have my general class ham license..... juts
not active for years

So.... Im trying to decide what equip to go hence the
question abt a ham rig w/marine bands vs the other

Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 15:33:58 GMT

On 2005-02-24
said:
Another note to ANY DIGITAL MODE......DO NOT FORGET TO UNPLUG THE
MICROPHONE! FCC TAKES A REALLY DIM VIEW WHEN IT HEARS AUDIO IN THE
BACKGROUND OF ANY DIGITAL MODE because whenever the transmitter is
on, it's transmitting that TV behind you on SSB while your digital
tones are also on the air! Some radios with "data inputs" for the
tones DON'T disconnect the microphone audio just because you
plugged something into it. Test yours carefully.

be sure then to unplug other hardware when using voice or you'll
possibly have a problem with rf feedback somewhere. Oftentimes on
voice nets I'll be working a maritime mobile and ask him about the rf
in his audio only to have it clera up when the op unplugs his tnc.

On another note, have been listening around the psk part of some band
or other with a friend and heard the usual noises windows makes being
transmitted. AS these are usually wider bandwidth audio they're
verbotten in those sub-bands. Be aware of the sounds your computer
makes in just normal operation and be sure not to transmit anything
but what you really intend to.

73

Richard Webb, amateur radio callsign nf5b
active on the Maritime Mobile service network, 14.300 mhz
REplace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real email

--

They can have my command prompt when they pry it from my
cold dead fingers