Larry W4CSC

krj wrote in
:

Larry,
How do I send an email to my non ham daughter in Orlando from 100 miles
north of the BVI with PSK31?
krj

I've forwarded messages via email (for free, not $250/year) for people I've
met on PSK31 (and other modes for that matter). All you need do is find a
ham friend ashore who has internet service. You text up the messages to
your daughter and send them to your scheduled ham ashore via any mode you
like, PSK31 included, then they simply cut and paste the message into an
email to your daughter, saving your replies to send back to you as 3rd
party traffic next time you have a sked with them.

OF course, this means you must have FRIENDS, not Sailmail business
acquaintenances for pay. Some boaters (including ones listed here) are too
damned independent for FRIENDS. You've met them, I'm sure.

If you need business comms, ham radio isn't the place, of course. That
hasn't changed.....

CRAZY Larry also likes the idea of all ham-radio-equipped boats constantly
transmitting their current position and data on another ham radio system
called APRS, invented by Bob Bruninga at the Naval Academy so they could
track lost cadets in Academy boats. Your daughter could just go to your
personal webpage for your callsign at:
http://www.findu.com/
From your very recent position report, she'd be relieved to see:
A - Your still afloat, have power, are "there" and have been recently heard
by an APRS reporting station in the network.
B - Haven't declared an emergency.
This, alone, would be very comforting, wouldn't it?

She doesn't have to be a ham to look at the webpage, only you do. Just
leave APRS running on the unused HF SSB rig with its packet modem when
you're not using it.

Silly me.....