Doug Dotson

I've got it. It does help, big not as nice a real big knob.

Doug

"krj" wrote in message
.. .
Doug,
Download Vic Poor's IC710 control program.
http://www.winlink.org/miscellaneous.htm You can then run the M710 from
the computer and almost like having a "big knob"
krj

Doug Dotson wrote:

The M710 is a great radio for email and Marine SSB use. It is a bit of
a pain for general QSOing since it lacks a "Big Knob". But if you spend
most of your hamming on various nets, then you can program them into the
memories and you are all set. I originally had both an M710 and a Kenwood
TS-680 on board, but the TS-680 quit transmitting and it will cost more
to fix
than the rig is worth.

Doug, k3qt
s/v CAllista

wrote in message

I went with both. An ICOM-M710 enabled for the ham bands. And I had
both Winlink (ham email) and Sailmail. The M710 is one of the few rigs
that
can do the digital modes, such as PACTOR, at full power.

OK Doug thanks

When I asked the question "what direction would you go"
.... I meant which rig would you go for.... i.e. a
ham rig that can do marine bands.... or a marine rig
that can do ham bands

I already have my general class ham license..... juts
not active for years

So.... Im trying to decide what equip to go hence the
question abt a ham rig w/marine bands vs the other

Jim Donohue

Larry needs no equipment...He simply keys his imagination..6KW right on
frequency with virtually no power in. Uses the same tactic to receive.
Just imagines what is coming in and writes it down.

Very fast, Very Cheap. Never fails.

Jim Donohue KO6MH
wrote in message
Larry..... what model/brand rig are you using?

jeannette

On 23 Feb 2005 17:06:17 -0800, "thuss" wrote:
--
http://boatblogger/page/thuss
http://www.marinewireless.us

Your link above should be: http://boatblogger.com/page/thuss

Jeannette
aa6jh
Bristol 32, San Francisco
http://www.eblw.com/contepartiro/contepartiro.html

Sorry I have no input to the subject but wondered if the "me" in your email
address is an acronym for "Mind's Eye". Yes?

No.... doesn't stand for that

But what exactly is "Minds Eye"?

Now you've got me curious! G
William Andersen

No matter what you get, if you're going to work from a boat I think you're
required to also have a VHF-FM radio. Seems to me I read it in Chapman's.

thuss" wrote in message
oups.com...
I would go to your local HAM store and talk to them about gear. There
are a lot of choices out there from tiny mobile QRP type rigs to larger
base stations that will all work in your boat or RV. I would start out
by getting a rig setup that's capable of doing packet and then adding a
pactor or similar into the mix later.

-Todd

Leonard

An VHF-FM license is no longer required for boats in US waters, unless
thay are commercial. Thay are still required inside us waters for all
boats.

Leonard

Sorry fot the typo's, right hand is in a splint.

A VHF-FM license is no longer required for boats inside US waters,
unless they are commercial.

They are still required when outside US waters.