Larry W4CSC

Wayne.B wrote in
:

Larry, are there any PSK31 stations that function as packet gateways?

Not that I've ever heard of. PSK31 is for comms that don't have to be
perfect. HF fades, has tons of noise, lots of things that can trash the
data. It was never made for data, and PSK31 was never made for error
correction to overcome these errors, so it wouldn't be suitable for
connection to any packet gateway that requires perfect copy.

However, if you have a shore station friend to do the copy/paste to the
email system for you, he copies your messages on PSK31 and simply pastes it
into an email message on the net. Then, he can just dump all your emails
back to you in PSK31 during your schedule. That works just fine, but most
boat folks are too damned independent for their own good and would never
"impose" on someone like him ashore. Go figure. That's what ham radio is
all about in the first place....(c;

chuck

Larry W4CSC wrote:
chuck wrote in :

Hey Larry,

A small clarification. There are two types of AMTOR: ARQ and
FEC. The ARQ mode does involve error correction, but the FEC
(which is Forward Error Correction, not Full Error
Correction) does NOT. AMTOR B, which is FEC AMTOR, simply
sends each character twice. If that doesn't do it, the
character is lost or received erroneously.

73,

Chuck

Yeah, they wouldn't use FEC with email as the header would be trashed.....

Do you have any idea what you're talking about, Larry? AMTOR
FEC wouldn't know how to trash a header. It may pass errors,
but it would not "know" what an email header was. Can you
explain how this "email header trashing" occurs?

You might have been more creative by observing that the
alphanumeric density of typical email headers forces the FEC
algorithm into unnecessary redundancy loops, thereby
increasing the probability of fatal packet collisions.

If you don't pick up the pace, you're going to lose your
following! ;-)

73,

Chuck
Larry W4CSC

chuck wrote in :

If you don't pick up the pace, you're going to lose your
following! ;-)

73,

Chuck

Ow, Ow, OW! Oh, my arm, don't twist so hard!

FEC's redundant sending doesn't work very well on HF in all that noise. Of
course, neither does AMTOR/SITOR/PACTOR/Packet when there's a storm around.
They just keep resending and resending and resending......

In the real world, I doubt FEC is accurate enough to send an accurate data
stream the computers would accept for header information or anything else
important to routing.

Of course, what we're all talking about here, but not saying, is getting
something for nothing....using ham radio for an email system instead of a
pay service. Ham radio sucks for such. It's a hobby, you know...(c;

Doug Dotson

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message
chuck wrote in :

If you don't pick up the pace, you're going to lose your
following! ;-)

73,

Chuck

Ow, Ow, OW! Oh, my arm, don't twist so hard!

FEC's redundant sending doesn't work very well on HF in all that noise.
Of
course, neither does AMTOR/SITOR/PACTOR/Packet when there's a storm
around.
They just keep resending and resending and resending......

In the real world, I doubt FEC is accurate enough to send an accurate data
stream the computers would accept for header information or anything else
important to routing.

Let alone the actual message body itself.

Of course, what we're all talking about here, but not saying, is getting
something for nothing....using ham radio for an email system instead of a
pay service. Ham radio sucks for such. It's a hobby, you know...(c;

I can;t agree with that. I used Winlink for a year and was very happy with
its peformance.

Doug, k3qt

.using ham radio for an email system instead of a
pay service. Ham radio sucks for such.

But why is this?

Why cant a GOOD free email system via ham radio be
developed?

Doug Dotson

wrote in message
.using ham radio for an email system instead of a
pay service. Ham radio sucks for such.

But why is this?

Why cant a GOOD free email system via ham radio be
developed?

I very good one exists. It's called Winlink. If you need to do
things that ham radio doesn't allow then Sailmail is a good system
also.

Doug, k3qt