Layne Meier

Default Boat won't start - need help

I have an old 1976-1977 Ford 460 7.5 Liter V8 engine that I'm having
problems with. It is installed in an old 1977 jet boat (engine
attached to a Berkeley J12E Jet drive.. I was out on the lake
having a good time cruising around, pulled into a cove and shut down
the engine to swim and when I went to
start it back up it wouldn't. The engine wouldn't turn over. It was
acting like the battery wasn't charging up via the alternator. We
towed the boat to shore and trailered it home. I tested the battery
with a voltmeter and it tested at 12volts and took it to a local auto
parts store for a test and it came out fully charged with about 850
amps. I put the batter back in the boat and tried to start it up, but
it still wouldn't even crank over. I pulled the starter motor out and
had it rebuilt and put a new solenoid in as well. I've checked all
the wiring, put on new battery cables and even a new starter switch
all with the same results. It's like I'm not getting enough juice to
the starter motor, it only cranks over between 1 - 5 degrees -
certainly not enough to get it to crank over.

Anyone experienced this before and could give me a few clues.

Thank you,
Layne Meier
Atlanta, GA
Dave

Can I suggest that you install the battery into a car/truck and see if it
turns over that engine. It could be a faulty cell in the battery.

Do the battery cables get warm when you try to crank the engine?

If the engine was working well before you stopped it I would not think it
was water in the engine.

Dave

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On 9 Sep 2004 05:28:48 -0700, (Layne Meier)
wrote:
It's like I'm not getting enough juice to
the starter motor, it only cranks over between 1 - 5 degrees -
certainly not enough to get it to crank over.

Anyone experienced this before and could give me a few clues.

====================================

Have you checked for water in the cylinders? Pull the spark plugs and
try to turn it over. If that's the problem you need to get it
serviced right away before it totally rusts up.

k.barrett

sounds like ignition timing is squew wiff,pre ignition will stop the
cylinders stone dead,..take the ht leads of and see if it turns over,if it
dose,which i think it might,its time to look at the distributor......KB.
LET US KNOW THE OUTCOME, TY
Kill switch, maybe?

wrote:

[...]

Josh Assing

I don't think so..

It'd stop it.. but not dead.

I've had timing 180 degrees off; and it'd turn it over quick at first, then stop
it; then it'd turn again.

He's getting very little turn and then STOP.

Fuel has to be delivered in order for timing to be an issue; and the 1st second;
no fuel is present....

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 08:20:18 GMT, "k.barrett" wrote:

sounds like ignition timing is squew wiff,pre ignition will stop the
cylinders stone dead,..take the ht leads of and see if it turns over,if it
dose,which i think it might,its time to look at the distributor......KB.
LET US KNOW THE OUTCOME, TY
Kill switch, maybe?

wrote:

[...]

---
Remove x's to send.

Fiberglass vs plastic bb General 74 March 15th 11 07:53 PM
Bought a Reinel 26' FamilySailor ASA 290 August 11th 04 02:29 PM
oday 25, for the beginner or not? Phracktal Cruising 12 June 7th 04 05:43 AM
I was a Mac26X owner EdGordonRN ASA 119 April 22nd 04 04:58 AM