EdGordonRN

Default I was a Mac26X owner

We bought the boat, we sailed it some, and before the stock market crashed in
2000 we sold it--thank God, or we never would have gotten out from under it.

I don't really have any complaints except that we over did it with the engine.
We got the 50 hp on it, and that's just stupid. But it still sailed very well.
The steering, however, is not trustworthy, or at least I didn't trust it.
Nevertheless, it did get us through squalls. I saw a new Mac at a boat show
recently, and I couldn't believe how they ruined it. The layout sucks and the
materials just keep getting cheaper and cheaper. Everything seemed cheaper on
it, more flimsy. And they still put it on a single axle trailer!

The Veridican
katysails

There you go, Jim...you wanted an opinion from a user...you got it: I saw a

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Jonathan Ganz

Yup. Now MacBoy has an unbiased opinion of a Mac ower turned
Hunter owner, who is definitely moving in the right direction.
So now MacBoy can *immediately* go sailing out on the ocean in
40kts wind. We'll all be waiting for your return... NOT.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"katysails" wrote in message
There you go, Jim...you wanted an opinion from a user...you got it: I saw

new Mac at a boat show
recently, and I couldn't believe how they ruined it. The layout sucks and
the
materials just keep getting cheaper and cheaper. Everything seemed cheaper
on
it, more flimsy. And they still put it on a single axle trailer!

The Veridican

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Veridican

Well, according to the website they upgraded the carpet in the new
version. Are you sure you were looking at the new Mac? According to
Jim, they are so different that they may be hard to recognize Among
other improvements, they also claim to have more "windows". Perhaps
they permit a better view of the "porch"

Maybe they did, and I think there may have been more window space. Don't get me
wrong: If someone were to give me a Mac, right now, I'd sail it.

I used to be all worried about whether a Mac was "Sea" worthy, until I moved to
the coast and realized that the "sea" is no big deal and in fact is easier to
sail on in many respects.

Obviously, I'm not going sailing in a storm or 40 knot winds. No body does
that, not in any boat. People sometimes get caught in that, but no one chooses
to go there just because they have a "strong" boat.

Would a Mac (even the new Mac) break a mast in 40 knot winds? No, not if the
sails were tied down like they should be on any boat in that condition.

The Veridican

JAXAshby

I'm not going sailing in a storm or 40 knot winds. No body does
that, not in any boat.

I have sailed in 40+ knots upwind. Most every sailor I know has as well. no
big deal, in a SAILboat.
Veridican

I have sailed in 40+ knots upwind. Most every sailor I know has as well. no
big deal, in a SAILboat.

You've sailed close hauled in 46 mph winds? BS., and don't act like every
sailor you know has done the same. I think like you, every sailor you know has
"said" they've sailed in 40 knot winds close hauled.

The Veridican

JAXAshby

You've sailed close hauled in 46 mph winds?

yes.

BS., and don't act like every
sailor you know has done the same.

maybe I know a different class of sailors.

I think like you, every sailor you know has
"said" they've sailed in 40 knot winds close hauled.

no big thing, really.
Veridican

maybe I know a different class of sailors.

no big thing, really.

[ sailing close hauled in 46 mph winds]

No big thing? Different class of sailors? You don't sail. No one who sails,
says no big deal to pert near gale force winds. You would have been more
believable if you had at least said you reefed and rolled in the jib, but you
don't know enough about sailing to put that into your lie, do you?

The Veridican
Jeff Morris

"Veridican" wrote in message

Obviously, I'm not going sailing in a storm or 40 knot winds. No body does
that, not in any boat. People sometimes get caught in that, but no one chooses
to go there just because they have a "strong" boat.

Would a Mac (even the new Mac) break a mast in 40 knot winds? No, not if the
sails were tied down like they should be on any boat in that condition.

I'll admit I don't leave the dock when its blowing 40, but I've been out a
number of times in 35+ and forged onward with double reefed sails. Our last
trip back from Cape Cod was in 35 konts; I remember a downwind trip from
Gloucestor to Boston with gusts measured at 42 knots; every year or so we'll
have a day predicted for 25 knots that comes in a bit heavier. There's no
reason why a proper boat shouldn't be able to handle 40 knots. Frankly, I enjoy
it as long as nothing breaks.

Finding owner by registration number Fred General 17 June 25th 04 03:44 AM
Essentials of a Marine Boat Alarm System Rick Curtis Electronics 19 February 23rd 04 10:42 AM
paradise cove trip Brien Alkire ASA 31 February 16th 04 12:17 AM
New owner - Question about AC power Paul General 10 August 9th 03 04:59 AM