Josh Assing

can you turn over hte motor by hand?

On 9 Sep 2004 05:28:48 -0700, (Layne Meier) wrote:

I have an old 1976-1977 Ford 460 7.5 Liter V8 engine that I'm having
problems with. It is installed in an old 1977 jet boat (engine
attached to a Berkeley J12E Jet drive.. I was out on the lake
having a good time cruising around, pulled into a cove and shut down
the engine to swim and when I went to
start it back up it wouldn't. The engine wouldn't turn over. It was
acting like the battery wasn't charging up via the alternator. We
towed the boat to shore and trailered it home. I tested the battery
with a voltmeter and it tested at 12volts and took it to a local auto
parts store for a test and it came out fully charged with about 850
amps. I put the batter back in the boat and tried to start it up, but
it still wouldn't even crank over. I pulled the starter motor out and
had it rebuilt and put a new solenoid in as well. I've checked all
the wiring, put on new battery cables and even a new starter switch
all with the same results. It's like I'm not getting enough juice to
the starter motor, it only cranks over between 1 - 5 degrees -
certainly not enough to get it to crank over.

Anyone experienced this before and could give me a few clues.

Thank you,
Layne Meier
Atlanta, GA

---