Default Title of "Captain"

In article ,
says...

How do you like the tinted lenses? I've had a pair or two and however
they tint the lenses always seems to give things a reddish glow. I
didn't like them at all. Of course I'm cheap and had dyed plastic
lenses.

I usually get a light grey and have had no trouble. It's remembering
where I put my glasses down that causes me no end of problems. Aboard
Herodotus I always keep a spare pair near the chart table so that I
can don them and find the glasses that I have only just put down.

By the way, I've discovered the "Gravity" a news reader much like Agent
but with better filtering. you can not only put people in the "Bozo
Bin" but you can exclude posts containing any work, name or phrase in
any part of the message. Not just the heading as Agent allows. I never
see certain individuals, or even a reference to them, using the new
reader.

Thanks Bruce, I shall investigate. Sounds good.

Nice to hear from you. I am trying to work out my movements. They say
that the best time to head west from Curacao is September but not to
reach the Marquesas before the end of March. Means a long time waiting
and a longer time away from home. Thinking of visiting Cartegena in
Colombia, diving in the San Blas touring Costa Rice but am yet
undecided. It is not as much fun as touring by land on one's own.

Due to its weight I left my copy of Cornell's routing guide on the
boat.

The joys of cruising and routing with due deference to weather
systems.

BTW, was spending some time staying with a best friend and his family
in Selangor and zipping about the district and into town etc on 125 cc
motorobikes and scooters. I had been reading the progress of a Korean
man on a 49cc Honda Rucus from Charleston to Florida, across to
Califormia and back across to the eastern seaboard, carrying all his
gear on the bike.

Upshot is that, after I return with Herodotus, friend will take some
leave as we plan to travel from Singapore to Thailand, up through
Burma, across to Cambodia and Laos and then the length of Vietnam. My
son in Sydney (16) and friend's son (17) - good friends for years,
also want to come as do 5 of said nephew's friends. Still at the early
stages of planning but intend using mountain tents and camping along
the way. I have started emailing Customs colleagues and friends in
these countries, asking for their help and advice. Not sure when this
will happen as need to do so in school holidays but want to do it
while the boys are still young.

Get one of those stretchy head bands to put on your glasses. Keeps from
losing them in a gale and you almost never forget where they are. Makes
you look all "Yachtie" too. If you can get away with wrap around
sunglasses it is cool too. Wear them on the back of your head at night.

Do some research before you try driving through N. Burma as it is pretty
much Indion Country up there these days and I don't think the Burmese
Government writ runs much outside the larger towns.

--
Cheers,

Bruce in Bangkok

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 03:20:10 +0000, Larry wrote:

Actually on my license it says "Master", not captain.....One's ego gets a
great boost when they call you "Master".

I used to date this strange woman who got all excited calling me "Master",
especially in public. That usually lead to some great nights with little
sleep...(c;

Next time someone calls you "captain", show them the license and say, "I
prefer 'Master.'" Watch the look on their faces....hee hee.

"Yes, Master!" Has such a nice ring to it...even if she doesn't really
mean it...(c;

Larry,
I suspect a dark side to your nature.

Does it involve leather boots, whips, Nazi uniforms, hand-cuffs and
French maid's outfits?

cheers
Peter

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 08:38:13 +1000, Herodotus
wrote:

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:06:37 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

Nice to hear your cheery voice again Vic.

Yes, I drink my coffee black but sometimes with friends in the city
may have a macciato or piccolo as a long black takes a while to cool
enough to drink and a short black goes too quickly. In Oztralia, a
long black is one shot of espresso in a standard cup topped up with
hot water (dopio is two shots).

However at home in Malaysia I surrender to my perversions and have
black coffee asian style (hot water poured through a gauze funnel)
with at least half an inch of sweetened condensed milk in the bottom -
called "kopi panas" (hot coffee). Without the milk it is "kopi o" and
iced coffee is "kopi ais" or "kopi o ais". We try to go to Chinese
establishments as generally they make the best coffee, the Malays make
the second best and the Indians make the worst.

I took a young nephew to a new mall at Bukit Tingi between Kuala
Lumpur and Port Kelang the other day and introduced him to tiramisu
cake and iced cappuccino. He was horrified that my esspresso coffee
cost 5 Ringit (AUD $1.50) as normally kopi costs between 1 and 1.30
Ringit. Has become addicted to tiramisu though.

Perhaps a bit more than I wanted there, since you've managed to make
me a bit jealous of your coffee experiences.
Sometimes ignorance is bliss.
But I did ask. Thank you for your response.

As to you being master of your own home, your innocence and naivity is
quite endearing. Most of us live quite happily under that impression
though.

My regards to your owner and the other owners (if daughters) who have
you around their little fingers.
cheers,

I thought I made clear my understanding of all that but perhaps I was
too subtle, forgetting I was speaking to somebody probably hopped up
on caffeine, and coiled to jump at conclusions. In any case thanks
for the reminder.
Cheers to you Cap (Coffee Admiral Peter.)

--Vic

On 2008-08-22 05:30:44 -0400, Vic Smith said:

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 08:38:13 +1000, Herodotus
As to you being master of your own home, your innocence and naivity is
quite endearing. Most of us live quite happily under that impression
though.

My regards to your owner and the other owners (if daughters) who have
you around their little fingers.
cheers,

I thought I made clear my understanding of all that but perhaps I was
too subtle, forgetting I was speaking to somebody probably hopped up
on caffeine, and coiled to jump at conclusions. In any case thanks
for the reminder.
Cheers to you Cap (Coffee Admiral Peter.)

If you look at his header, he was writing in the morning, his local time.

But what are you doing writing at this ungodly hour of the morning?
It's not even dawn-o'clock! I have an excuse as I've got a newsletter
that *must* go out a few hours from now.

--
Jere Lull

On Aug 21, 12:56 am, Herodotus wrote:
Have just been looking at some Utube footage on sailboats, hydroponics
at sea etc.

It seems that every second nautically minded person posting calls
himself "Captain Jack" or Captain someone or other.

Just curious as to how many fellow boatees add the title in front of
their names.

I simply cannot imagine introducing myself as "Captain Peter" or
"Captain Panaengotis". I'm not a professional mariner who has worked
up from 3rd mate to command.

Captain Bruce von Bangkok and Captain Larry or even Captain Vic de la
Kafe don't sound as ridiculous even if a little pompous.

Does the title come with a US boating qualification or is it assumed
with boat ownership as is the weekend boater's cap with "Captain"
emblazoned loudly and the gold leaves of an admiral of the fleet?

If so, I'll adopt the title of Nakoda - means the same but has the
romantic flavour of Joseph Conrad about it - and I'll wear a sarong
and songkok for authenticity.

Any thoughts Larry, Bruce, Captain Vic? - if you can manage to get
your face away from your coffee cup.

BTW, for those with less than perfect teeth. Just got new dentures,
top and bottom - quote in Sydney, Australia - AUD$2,000. My dentist in
Panglima Garang, Malaysia (between Banting and Kelang) who is Sydney
University trained charged RM 700 - AUD $214. I also bought new
eyeglasses for myopia and astigmatism - first pair including tinted
plastic lenses, script and hardening coating - AUD $60. Second pair -
same but bifocals - AUD $40. They are not cheap looking frames and are
made in Japan with sprung hinges.

My dentist had three receptionists/nurses. I offered to buy one of his
women but he wanted too much for each of them.

Work out the price of a holiday to Malaysia with effectively free
dental care (crowns, caps dentures, fillings etc) and eyeglasses.

It may be a developing country but is not third world and is very
safe, even for people who speak poor English with a slow drawl.

cheers
Peter

Got a UML didn't get Capt.
the only time i get called capt is from the 4 to 8 year olds. (they
seem to think its cool)
I have never used or asked any one to use the term and the only job
I've ever had that introduced me as such i quit.
(i hate white shorts and shoulder boards)
if you are my crew my first name or skipper will work. if you are the
kneedeeps (cg) skipper works. if you are one of my preschoolers or
kinda garden kids and are on the boat with me almost anything will
work.

if you are some person on another boat my boat name works and if you
are onshore i am Mr. or if you know me well my first name.
if you call me Capt then i assume that you are a zero (officer) and as
such have never done a days work in your life. therefor you will get
no respect from me.

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 09:55:17 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

But what are you doing writing at this ungodly hour of the morning?
It's not even dawn-o'clock! I have an excuse as I've got a newsletter
that *must* go out a few hours from now.

My wife gets up at 4:15 every morning to prepare for work, and
sometimes I get up with her if I stir enough to smell the coffee.
But in this case I was up all night playing a video game, and checked
here when I tired of it. I'm retired and have no "hours."
So coffee makes anything possible.

--Vic

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 09:55:17 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

But what are you doing writing at this ungodly hour of the morning?
It's not even dawn-o'clock! I have an excuse as I've got a newsletter
that *must* go out a few hours from now.

My wife gets up at 4:15 every morning to prepare for work, and
sometimes I get up with her if I stir enough to smell the coffee.
But in this case I was up all night playing a video game, and checked
here when I tired of it. I'm retired and have no "hours."
So coffee makes anything possible.

--Vic

It's nice to be retired but don't make the mistake of having nothing
interesting (and video games don't qualify) enough to give your life some
structure and meaning.

A large part of any retired man's life should be an activity that keeps him
in prime physical condition. Sailing is OK for passing the time but it is
not physical enough to keep a retired person in decent shape. You need to be
running, swimming, cycling, hiking, climbing or some other activity that
burns two or three thousand calories a day. Otherwise you're going to get
fat, you will get diseases like diabetes and hypertension associated with
fat and you will feel and look old and die young.

Don't let your retirement kill you. Get off your lazy, worthless, video
gaming arse and get in shape.

I speak from experience. I am an example of which I speak. Just did a
personal best last week-end in a 40K Individual Time Trial (cycling) of 62
minutes, 34.45 seconds. Did a personal best in a 16K ITT last month of 23
minutes 42.16 sec. Combine the racing with training 200-300 miles a week.
(over 11,000 miles total last year and on the same pace this year) and you
will feel years younger both physically and mentally.

If you don't use it you'll lose it. Now, get with the program, dude!

Wilbur Hubbard