Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Title of "Captain"

On 2008-08-21 06:55:57 -0400, said:

"Captain", outside of the military, and in some business transactions,
is an honorific to be used by others to address you, not a prefix you
use yourself, unless it is in the course of conducting business where
knowing that you hold a Captain license is pertinent.

That's pretty much how I have seen it used, a nautical "Sir" (or
"Ma'am") used by the dockhands, and sometimes between boaters.

When chartering, our tradition is to use "skipper" instead, denoting
the duty without much added status, thus less pretentious.

Personally, I address anyone anchoring too close as "skipper". Seems to
carry further when trying to get their attention, too. Adding a good
South Philly "YO!" is even better.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's pages: