[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default Title of "Captain"

On 21 Aug 2008 20:00:02 -0500, Dave wrote:

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 06:55:57 -0400, said:

"Captain", outside of the military, and in some business transactions,
is an honorific to be used by others to address you, not a prefix you
use yourself, unless it is in the course of conducting business where
knowing that you hold a Captain license is pertinent.

S'pose Bobsprit is listening?

Bobsprit is a fictitious character created for usenet by Robert Brody.
I'm sure he uses the apellation "Captain" here entirely because it
irritates those who take themselves too seriously. He does it for fun.
Bobsprit, for all we know, also wears an eyepatch and has a peg-leg.
Whatever his creator decides to do to "flesh him out". It can even
change over time. Compare the original Mickey Mouse to the one
depicted today. They have little in common other than the name, and
the base concept of a mouse who talks.