Default Maine Passage

"Wayne.B" wrote

When you are crossing oceans there is no alternative but to cruise
around the clock for many days at a time. Learning to deal with the
sleep deprivation and fatigue is part of the game, not so with coastal
cruising. Bad judgement can start creeping up on you after an
extended time offshore.

But, the only way to learn to deal with those things is to do them. I urged
them to take on some extra hands for the trip and even located some
candidates that I knew but the elected to try it alone. This was very much
a training cruise for them and not a bad route actually. Far enough out to
experience all the conditions of an ocean passage but not so far as to not
have options if problems arose.

When I was flying, there was a constant tension between being conservative
and safe and gaining the experience to be ready for conditions that can come
up almost any time. The latter often required going out and doing things I
wouldn't want to make a habit of. I think this has been invaluable for them
and a lot less risky than things I see people doing all the time within
sight of land. The track they are following into the harbor now shows the
judgement I would expect of a very seasoned navigator even after a long
shorthanded trip.

I'll be headed out to meet them in a couple hours.

--
Roger Long

wrote:
On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 15:30:13 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 22:26:57 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 10:07:54 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

Thus, Skip is right there with the rest of us. Except he is out there
doing it and the nay sayers are sitting at home.

Maybe because they aren't prepared yet. Gotta be ready.
Can't have anything go wrong. Must be shipshape.
Just not quite ready. Few things to take care of first.
Won't be long. Have to be patient. Why take any chances?
Could lead to disaster. Or even embarrassment.
Must be a good sailor, so want all just right.
Anything less would be lubberly.
Now, my legs are just right on the ottoman.
Gimme another beer. And turn on the light - it's getting dark.
No sense I risk tripping on the dog when walking to bed.
That could be embarrassing if somebody found out.

--Vic

Yup. to quote Frank Hill, a 78 year old Australian mate of mine, "you
can spend your whole damned life getting ready to go. Or you can just
GO!"

Apparently Skip listened to the latter part of the quote.

Clearly you are not familiar with the Skip Gundlach story from the beginning.
It's the story of a man who constantly puts obstacles in his own path to
sabotage himself. He does not want success. He delayed this trip in every way
possible, until he could delay it no longer, and then continued to try and cut
it short, even to the point of creating the setting for a shipwreck to try and
end it.

I forget how many years he wrote about the search for "the perfect boat". He set
unrealistic goals for this imaginary craft, so he hopefully wouldn't find one.
Once he found the perfect boat and that excuse no longer washed, he spent many
years refitting "the perfect boat" to make it more perfect. People commented
upon the endless boat search and the endless refit that followed.

The man may have a goal, but it has nothing to do with sailing. Some people with
a similar goal, jump in front of trains.

It's called "Life", dog.

As is "Having One".

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)

How far did you sail in the last 10 days?

--
Roger Long

wrote:

[...]

I am superficially familiar with Skip's odyssey although I admit that
I viewed him as a rather unexperienced individual who was searching
for a "dream boat" not realizing that there is no such thing (as soon
as you find the perfect vessel you realize that if the dumafletchit
was a little further aft it would be better) but I've heard even more
unlikely dreams voiced by others.

Live and learn, I thought. And, that is exactly what he has done. I'm
sure that his vision of a dream boat has changed a bit from what it
was several years ago, but so has mine, and probably everyone else
that ever owned a boat, wife, car, house, or dog.

But, Skip is out there living his dream and the rest of the group
seems to be sitting on their collective ass' and rambling on about how
he "should be doing it" forgetting that he IS doing it.

I don't remember whether you are on the East coast or West coast (or
Kansas) but get your butt out on the water and send up some SailMail
about Skip. Don't just sit at home and chuck spears at him. You'll be
a lot more credible.

I'm sure that you will have some disparaging comments to make about
this post but I really don't care a bit. Go sail somewhere and post an
honest report of how many times you made a small error in judgement,or
a big one for that matter, and I'll be a bit more inclined to listen.

Or, just tell us that you've never made a mistake.

Bruce-in-Bangkok

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 08:16:28 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 07:07:32 -0400, "Roger Long"
wrote:

How far did you sail in the last 10 days?

A false and foolish yardstick, Roger. Do you work part time as an
advisor to Carl Rove?

No it isn't! You will probably find that Roger has not been out for 9
days.

"Roger Long" wrote in message
[...]

=================================

Yo Captain Roger .. is the good ship Skip/Lydia coming in today Aug . 6,
2008?
I'm bummed... if it were tomorrow I could go out with you and meet the old
sea dog.

I have my fancy, got it at a yard sale, flies behind the Big A kite.. and my
just purchased
at another yard sale cheap flag ... .. and who knows what else..

If Skip gets delayed... I'm heading out tomorrow anyway .. so I will do the
welcome to S
Portland, here is your rain suit thing..

As for all the talk of arm chair sailors... I have been sailing all summer
in the Casco/to Boothbay/NH
region .. and the weather has SUCKED... So, the sailing has not been the
best.. but I am out there,
by myself .. with my Annapolis Book of Sailing in one hand and the sheet in
the other .....

Put the rail under the other day,, albeit for only a moment,, but the rail
set right at the water line for
a long reach from Sequin to R N 2Q Bell ... Close hauled.. rail down...
all the way.... by myself

YES

Maybe Skip and Captain Lydia will be delayed... the weather is awful..
Tell them to wait until
tomorrow.. then we can go out and give them a real welcome..

Maybe pass the word to the Centerboard/PYC/DeMillo's/ .. this could be the
big event of the summer.

I will even play my yard sale trumpet.. I am good at Anchor's Away.
hahahah

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 08:53:32 -0400, wrote:

wrote:

[...]

You need to get your compass swung. You are WAAAAY off course.

Lovely answer. cuts right to the heart of the matter. Some people go
sailing and some people sit home and snipe.

Bruce-in-Bangkok

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
snipped
Live and learn, I thought. And, that is exactly what he has done. I'm
sure that his vision of a dream boat has changed a bit from what it
was several years ago, but so has mine, and probably everyone else
that ever owned a boat, wife, car, house, or dog.

But, Skip is out there living his dream and the rest of the group
seems to be sitting on their collective ass' and rambling on about how
he "should be doing it" forgetting that he IS doing it.

more snippage
I agree with nearly all your post, Bruce, but I suggest you never let your
wife see that bit about _owning- a wife.
I would never dare....

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 17:50:24 +0200, "Edgar"
wrote:

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
.. .
snipped
Live and learn, I thought. And, that is exactly what he has done. I'm
sure that his vision of a dream boat has changed a bit from what it
was several years ago, but so has mine, and probably everyone else
that ever owned a boat, wife, car, house, or dog.

But, Skip is out there living his dream and the rest of the group
seems to be sitting on their collective ass' and rambling on about how
he "should be doing it" forgetting that he IS doing it.

more snippage
I agree with nearly all your post, Bruce, but I suggest you never let your
wife see that bit about _owning- a wife.
I would never dare....

One usually mentions little vignettes like this in the heat of a
marital debate on who takes the garbage out, or other important
subject. Whereupon one is reminded of the statement in any future
conflict until the end of time.

Bruce-in-Bangkok