Thomas, Spring Point Light Thomas, Spring Point Light is offline

Default Maine Passage

"Roger Long" wrote in message
"Wayne.B" wrote

When you are crossing oceans there is no alternative but to cruise
around the clock for many days at a time. Learning to deal with the
sleep deprivation and fatigue is part of the game, not so with coastal
cruising. Bad judgement can start creeping up on you after an
extended time offshore.

But, the only way to learn to deal with those things is to do them. I
urged them to take on some extra hands for the trip and even located some
candidates that I knew but the elected to try it alone. This was very
much a training cruise for them and not a bad route actually. Far enough
out to experience all the conditions of an ocean passage but not so far as
to not have options if problems arose.

When I was flying, there was a constant tension between being conservative
and safe and gaining the experience to be ready for conditions that can
come up almost any time. The latter often required going out and doing
things I wouldn't want to make a habit of. I think this has been
invaluable for them and a lot less risky than things I see people doing
all the time within sight of land. The track they are following into the
harbor now shows the judgement I would expect of a very seasoned navigator
even after a long shorthanded trip.

I'll be headed out to meet them in a couple hours.

--
Roger Long

=================================

Yo Captain Roger .. is the good ship Skip/Lydia coming in today Aug . 6,
2008?
I'm bummed... if it were tomorrow I could go out with you and meet the old
sea dog.

I have my fancy, got it at a yard sale, flies behind the Big A kite.. and my
just purchased
at another yard sale cheap flag ... .. and who knows what else..

If Skip gets delayed... I'm heading out tomorrow anyway .. so I will do the
welcome to S
Portland, here is your rain suit thing..

As for all the talk of arm chair sailors... I have been sailing all summer
in the Casco/to Boothbay/NH
region .. and the weather has SUCKED... So, the sailing has not been the
best.. but I am out there,
by myself .. with my Annapolis Book of Sailing in one hand and the sheet in
the other .....

Put the rail under the other day,, albeit for only a moment,, but the rail
set right at the water line for
a long reach from Sequin to R N 2Q Bell ... Close hauled.. rail down...
all the way.... by myself

YES

Maybe Skip and Captain Lydia will be delayed... the weather is awful..
Tell them to wait until
tomorrow.. then we can go out and give them a real welcome..

Maybe pass the word to the Centerboard/PYC/DeMillo's/ .. this could be the
big event of the summer.

I will even play my yard sale trumpet.. I am good at Anchor's Away.
hahahah