Default The answer ISN"T an electric or a bigger windlass

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
The reason I always tell people that they need a forty foot boat isn't
because it takes forty feet to keep two people's head above water. It
takes forty feet to keep two people AND all the tools, spares, parts,
cooking pots, clothes and the Banjo above water.

You are soooo wrong! If your first priority is a sailboat large enough to
make it a seaborne reflection of your shoreside residence filled will all
the luxuries and frivolity of said lubberly abode then please STAY ashore.
Leave the waters of this world to those of us who know how to enjoy them in
a fashion that is concordant with life at sea and not some *******ization of
it with a mini-commercial cruise ship that belches noise, pollution and
danger 24/7. If I wish to live in a smelly, noisy truck stop I will buy an
RV and park in truck stops. But I wish to live and enjoy the clean, quite
and sane waters in a realistic, simple manner that is in harmony with my
chosen path. You people who think you have to take the land to sea ruin it
for those of us who understand and enjoy the cruising life as it was meant
to be - simple, quiet, trouble-free and sane.

One other thing. Your philosophy has been proven to be bankrupt. Your
example is one of being stuck at a dock in your dotage because your floating
home with all its out of place shoreside amenities is now proven unsuited to
cruising. You are no longer able to sail because you can no longer handle
the size and complications you unnecessarily imposed. Try as you might any
other excuse for your self-imposed retirement from sailing won't wash. It's
the size and complication of your vessel that has retired you - nothing
else.

So don't proselytize to me! I am approximately your age and I still live
aboard and cruise precisely because my vessel is not some big, opulent,
system-laden, floating condominium that's beyond my means to get under way,
let alone voyage.

Wilbur Hubbard

wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 09:24:20 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I thought you have a 68 foot Swan, Wilbur.

~~ SNERK ~~

wrote:

[...]

But, I don't live aboard my Swan. She's a racer and a thoroughbred made for
going fast and kicking ass.

I live aboard my Allied Seawind 32, "Sea Isle." She is simple, seaworthy
and a competent circumnavigator. So, as you can see, I practice what I
preach. I do "cheat" a little bit, though, with the anchors. I don't have a
windlass on the foredeck but I do have a large Barlow, Stainless Steel,
two-speed manual sheet winch with which to facilitate breaking out the
anchor.

Wilbur Hubbard

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 09:08:09 -0400, Gogarty
wrote:

One could run the rode back to the primary winches but I don't
think they would handle chain very well.

The sailing battleships had a hemp rode something like four inches in
diameter, They would attach a length of smaller stuff to the rode and
lead that to the capstan.

Casady

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

heavily snipped-Wilbur seems to think that older people are all decrepit
and unfit

On the subject of the Fortress aluminum anchor let me say this. Every

real
sailor knows that a light aluminum anchor is a joke in anything but ideal
conditions.

Wilbur got that right anyway. And Fortress anchors are not even solid. some
parts are held on with little screws!

"Edgar" wrote in message

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

heavily snipped-Wilbur seems to think that older people are all decrepit
and unfit

On the subject of the Fortress aluminum anchor let me say this. Every

real
sailor knows that a light aluminum anchor is a joke in anything but ideal
conditions.

Wilbur got that right anyway. And Fortress anchors are not even solid.
some parts are held on with little screws!

So what Neal is saying is... use an anchor appropriate to the bottom.
Duhhh... not exactly rocket science to figure that out.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Edgar" wrote in message

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

heavily snipped-Wilbur seems to think that older people are all decrepit
and unfit

Because they all ARE! It's a biological fact that the elderly are much
diminished from their mental and physical capacites they embodied in their
prime. It's nothing to be ashamed of but it IS something that should be
taken into consideration. To deny aging equates to diminished capacity is to
deny reality.

On the subject of the Fortress aluminum anchor let me say this. Every

real
sailor knows that a light aluminum anchor is a joke in anything but ideal
conditions.

Wilbur got that right anyway. And Fortress anchors are not even solid.
some parts are held on with little screws!

At least there still remains to you some common sense. When I stated that
Fortress anchors are a joke I meant every word of it.

An aluminum anchor is tantamount to a lead balloon! There exists a market
for such garbage only because of stupid, ignorant or crazy people.

Wilbur Hubbard

Bob Bob is offline

On Apr 14, 4:18*am, "Roger Long" wrote:

OK, I'll fess up. *I only left Bob and Wilbur in the killfile until after my
next nap. *The stress, fatigue, and drugs of my first hospitalization in 45
years had me a bit cranky last week and my perspective was not all it
usually is. *In a group like this, as long as the subject actually is boats and
cruising, we should expect and tolerate some profanity, stupidity, putting
words in others mouths and then attacking them.
Roger Long

My Dearest Roger,

I accept you appology. Thank you

Bob

Gogarty wrote:

My Lumar Concept 1 can let the anchor go in free fall so even if the windlass
fails one can anchor the boat. But you can't use a winch handle to bring it
back up. With a Delta 35 and all chain rode, we pray a lot that the windlass
does not fail. One could run the rode back to the primary winches but I don't
think they would handle chain very well.

The old square riggers used an endless line on the capstan that attached
to the anchor cable via "nippers".

Could be done that way with lines on the winch hooked to the chain?

"Roger Long" wrote in message
Thank you.

I have also just been informed privately by a source I trust that you are
not, in fact Wilbur. I therefore owe you another apology and will treat
you with more respect in the future.

--
Roger Long

Does that mean you will continue to disrespect me, Wilbur Hubbard? And
please stop acting like a girly-man with your meaningless apologies.

Wilbur Hubbard