Default The answer ISN"T an electric or a bigger windlass

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 18:06:18 -0600, Paul Cassel
wrote:

Jiffy reefing but it seems that in a real blow, I have a very hard time
of it.

It's important to ease off the mainsheet and boom vang until the
reefing lines are snugged down.

Does the mainsail stick in the luff groove or do the slides stick?

The really nice system that I saw on the 70 footer had full length
battens with a roller bearing car on the inboard end of each batten.
That sail dropped and stowed slicker than a venetian blind in reverse.

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 10:24:15 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Apr 15, 4:08 am, Bruce in Bangkok wrote:
On my next boat I'm going to about 50 - 100 ft. of chain and a nylon
rode. Actually the rope is stronger then the chain and you don't have
to rig a snubber every night.

You're in coral country aren't you? Coral sand erodes nylon and coral
cuts it. My take on this is that in light winds when the chain is
lying on the bottom you want the nylon well above the level of any
bommies that might be around and still want enough scope out to be
safe. I've been using 35m (~114') of 10mm (~3/8) chain and wouldn't
go with much less. Indeed, I just replaced that with 150' of
nominally 5/16 (actually 9mm) G43. Rigging a snubber is pretty easy
work.

-- Tom.

Most places I anchor will be about 30 ft. (not taking the tide into
consideration) with chain I normally use a scope of three. With nylon
I'll probably start with five and see how that works. The first 50 -
100 ft will be chain which is laying on the bottom.

Surprising I seldom find an anchorage with coral, usually it is clay
mud with perhaps some shells.

I think that the chain/rope rode will handle things but if not I still
have the 200 ft. of chain in storage :-).

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message

My dock will be under about 10 ft. (not taking the tide into
consideration) with dock lines I normally use a scope of three. With nylon
I'll probably start with five and see how that works. The first 50 -
used rolls of t.p. and beer cans will be laying on the bottom.

Surprising I seldom find an anchorage with coral, usually it has
some sort of pier with piles to tie to. I no longer do any serious
cruising. I just got too old for it and my boat is to large and
difficult to handle. I use it just as a floating home these days.

I think that 3/8 rope dock line will handle things but if not I still
have the 200 ft. of chain in storage. It's new since I haven't
left this dock in about three or four years.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)

Uh huh! Thought so. Thanks for the confirmation.

Wilbur Hubbard

"Jeff Dowder" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 21:53:44 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

Jere... he doesn't actually sail and he certainly has never had to deal
with
an anchor/chain combo.

Out trolling again I see.

Just helping out. If I were trolling, I would make several nasty comments
and try and stir up a fight. Is that what you're doing?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote:

Jiffy reefing but it seems that in a real blow, I have a very hard time
of it.

It's important to ease off the mainsheet and boom vang until the
reefing lines are snugged down.

Does the mainsail stick in the luff groove or do the slides stick?

The really nice system that I saw on the 70 footer had full length
battens with a roller bearing car on the inboard end of each batten.
That sail dropped and stowed slicker than a venetian blind in reverse.

Basically the general fuss of such a large rig is what gives me fits. My
next boat, if a sailboat, will have in mast or in boom furling. I almost
installed in boom and actually ordered it but the mfg made some sort of
measuring error. I just got disgusted waiting around in port for a part
which was all wrong & left.

Remember, I"m single handing. This would not be much of deal if not for
that.

wrote:

[...]

I built a behind the mast system and while the foil certainly sags to
leeward it is no more then a stay sail schooner, and the big advantage
is that because it is so easy to use I end up with more sail in the
wind for more hours a day.

Before, when it was a matter of going forward and hauling in another
reef at the mast, or shaking one out, I tended to wait -- probably
gonna blow more later; or probably gonna be calm anyway, so I'd just
leave things the way they were. With the roller it is just pull the
blue line to make it bigger and the red one to make it smaller.

It doesn't look as good as an in mast system but it works about as
good. Wouldn't be without it.