Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default The answer ISN"T an electric or a bigger windlass

wrote in message
Paul Cassel wrote:
Personally, I see no issues with an electric windless (or capstan).

The worst case scenario that I can think of (and have no idea if it's
ever happened) is that the anchor failing to set and the crew unable
to pull it up for another try.

.... I've
never heard of a boat being permanently anchored due to the windless
failing to weigh anchor. Have you?

Are you going to ask "Wilbur Hubbard" to justify his irrational
dislikes & prejudices? What's next, asking him to rationalize his
behavior?

DSK

I'm trying to remember ever being on a boat that had a windlass that didn't
have the ability to use a winch handle and do it manually. I suppose they're
out there, but it seems like an inexpensive backup. And, even if it didn't I
suppose you could use the biggest winch you have. I just wouldn't use it for
breaking free.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com