Wesley Mouch Wesley Mouch is offline

Default The answer ISN"T an electric or a bigger windlass

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in
anews.com:

Some recent posts in another thread advocated getting a big, bigger or
electric windlass when it came to the point whereby a largish 65 pound
anchor was difficult or injurious to the crew attempting to weigh said
anchor.

This is a stupid suggestion. The PROPER thing to do is get a smaller
anchor. Get ground tackle that the crew can handle without breaking
his or her back or giving themselves a stroke or heart attack. It is a
well known fact that a genuine Danforth Hi-tensile or Deep Set anchor
or two weighing 25 pounds each can securely anchor a vessel of up to
thirty feet LOA.

So, the answer is NOT a larger or electric windlass but, rather, a
SMALLER BOAT!

Many people tend to fall into the trap of believing that bigger is
better. Not so! Bigger may be better but only if you are able to
handle bigger. When it comes to elderly folks towards or at the end of
their useful sailing careers - Bruce in Bangkok comes to mind - the
wisest decision would be to take stock of yourself, your much reduced
abilities and lack of youthful vigor and then chose a boat you can
actually still handle. This means downsizing. This means simplicity.

There is many a well-found and seaworthy vessel in the 25-30 foot
range and the anchors for such a vessel are not such a great burden
that they must be handled with heavy, trouble-prone, mechanical and
electrical systems. Because with age often comes not only muscle and
bone weakness but weakness of mind, eyesight, and hearing.
Consequently, the ability to troubleshoot mechanical and electrical
systems may be greatly reduced or non-existent (as is the case with
Bruce in Bangkok or it would seem so from his embarrassingly
simplistic mechanical and electrical posts).

Rather than compound folly by trying to maintain such a large vessel
that sailing becomes dangerous or burdensome and a menace to other
shipping (as is the case with one Skip Grundlach as well as the
captain of the erstwhile 'Red Cloud') it would be better for all
concerned if such folks sailed vessels that they could handle
comfortably and so enjoy to a greater extent and a longer time because
of the reduced stress and wear and tear on the failing old body.

Sometimes I think JimC has the right idea. For some people a Mac26X or
M might just be an ideal vessel. They are small, light can sail and
motor passably well and can even be trailored. They don't strain or
stress their crew. And, try as I might I've found it difficult to find
a MacGregor owner who was really dissatisfied with his small
compromise vessel. Not that I'd dare take a Mac26 on a long ocean
voyage but I suppose a body would probably be safer in one provided
one knew how to sail her and realized her limitations than in some old
steel boat that was for her crew too big, heavy, and ill-conceived and
mechanically unsound to the point where her own rudder punched holes
in the transom. This would never happen in a MacGregor. The rudders
might break completely off without damaging the hull but that would
not be a disaster as the outboard motor could then be pressed into
service to do the steering.

But, I digress somewhat! The point is as you age and near the end of
your sailing career, think small. It will extend the days of bliss
upon the watery world. After all, isn't that what sailing's really all
about.

Wilbur Hubbard

Would you be interested in a good government job in our News Media
Liason Department. You seem to know your stuff. The more old folks we
can get to go sailing in small, unseaworthy boats means more likely loss
of life. This could reduce the burgeoning cost of government services to
the aged.

Scientific studies indicate that the U.S.A. will be crushed economically
by the growing tide of aged Americans because of the payment of
government entitlements they have been promised. However, what we got
here is a ponzi scheme. This house of cards will tumble and fall unless
we can flood the country with young illegal aliens and put them to work
so they pay Medicare and Soach Security but deny or delay them
citizenship so they cannot collect benefits. This will swell the coffers
but anything the government can do to increase the retirement age or
facilitate the passing on of the elderly will be even more helpful from
the standpoint of increasing funds by decreasing payouts. This one/two
punch approach will ensure continued healthy and growing government.

And a hefty luxury tax should be immediately assessed on every
recreational boat sold. The function of any populace is to grow
government because a large involved government knows what is best for
its citizens. This benefits society in the long run.

--
W. Mouch, State Science Institute