Default Clothing for cold weather sailing

On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 09:25:42 GMT, "Dennis Pogson"
wrote:

As a lifelong amateur sailor, I have examined most of the better-known makes
of foul weather gear over the years and can tell you that Gill sailing gear
is second to none in terms of value for money and quality of manufacture.

How does it compare to Henri-Lloyd ? I've always liked their gear.

http://www.henrilloydonline.com/

http://www.henrilloydstore.com/

Default Clothing for cold weather sailing Thanks for all the replys

L D'Bonnie wrote:
Sal's Dad wrote:
"L D'Bonnie" wrote

I've never owned any sort of foul weather boating gear and would
appreciate some advice on what is practical before I make any
purchases. There is a wide choice of gear available with prices to
match.

Cold weather boating:
#1 Stay in the boat, and keep the water out. Remind yourself that
swimming = funeral. (others have covered this)
#2 Regardless of #1, wear your PFD.
#3 Good quality, all-purpose raingear is really nice. In my family,
we get "the best" Gore-Tex gear from LL Bean. Long, not short
jackets, and lightweight Gore-Tex pants. Baseball-style caps under
the hood help shed spray/driving rain and improve visibility.
Gore-Tex (or rubber fisherman style)gloves. Boots. Unfortunately,
kid-sized gear is hard to come by in Gore-Tex.
#4 "Sailing" foul weather gear tends to be bulky, uncomfortable,
single-purpose, and expensive.
#5 For colder (winter in Maine) weather, layer poly long underwear,
and fleece sweaters. Cover-the-ear hats. Extra hats and gloves for
when you drop them. If you overheat, switching to a lighter (or no)
hat will cool you off in a hurry.
#6 Discomfort will lead you focus on yourself, huddle out of the
elements, and generally lose your focus. Stay comfortable.
#7 Bright colors for everything. Visibility trumps fashion.
#8 Did I mention PFD's?

Sal's Dad

I bought a lightweight Gortex jacket (unlined), pants, socks and
neoprene gloves. I'm not sure how the socks will work, you pays
your money and you takes your chances. I

The layered approach seems most practical. The gortex clothing is
light and comfortable. It can be worn throughout the year, with warm
layers when required.

I want to thank all for their advice. Snows starting to melt. Couple
weeks the boat will be in the wet. Be assured I do my best to keep
out of the water.

LdB

I tried the Jacket and pants today. Went out with the dogs for over
an hour on our morning walk.

Sunny, 38 deg F, wind strong enough to sway the trees. I wore the
pants over a pair jeans (no long johns). A T shirt, wool sweater,
and hoodie under the jacket. I was over dressed. Could have done
without the sweater.

The Gortex material is windproof. Unlike department store wind
breakers, this actually works as advertised. It is light, warm
and comfortable and allows a full range of movement. Wouldn't be
posting this if I wasn't impressed.

With another layer or two I would be comfortable in temps. well
below 0 F. We walk every day, even when the temps drop below -40 F.
We're well acquainted with cold weather. By the way, the boys are
Man's best friend. Here's a few shots of them. No better mousetrap
than that cat either.

http://www.granite.mb.ca/~lorence/

Thanks Again

LdB

Happy sailing - that Gore-Tex stuff is amazing.

The ice seems to be all out, so I got the dock and a couple skiffs in this
weekend. The Gore-Tex gloves - perfect... The midnight high tide was a
PITA though.

Sal's Dad

207 650 3235
"L D'Bonnie" wrote in message
m...

#4 "Sailing" foul weather gear tends to be bulky, uncomfortable,
single-purpose, and expensive.
#5 For colder (winter in Maine) weather, layer poly long underwear,
#6 Discomfort will lead you focus on yourself, huddle out of the
elements, and generally lose your focus. Stay comfortable.
#7 Bright colors for everything. Visibility trumps fashion.
#8 Did I mention PFD's?

Sal's Dad