JohnH

Default A bit of cold weather boating...

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 19:23:25 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

Went out to the Shenandoah today with a buddy for a little communion
with nature and a bit of shooting. When we got to the river the air temp
was 40F, and the river was flowing fairly high, so we got a neighbor to
haul us an "El Canoe" about 12 miles upstream to near Luray and put in
for a quick paddle back. It was cold but beautiful, and we got to see a
number of critters along the way, including some grouse, two falcons,
the usual horses, cattle, goats, and sheep, geese, ducks, deer, and
maybe a bobcat. Maybe. The only bad moment was stepping out of the canoe
at the end to carry it up to the truck. The water was, shall we say,
Seattle-like.

I've never winter canoed before, at least not where it was winter.

Afterwards, we killed many dozens of empty sodapop and beer cans with
three handguns and two shotguns. My buddy whipped up up a "shore lunch"
on his wood stove: chicken breasts marinated in some sort of salsa he
brought back from his last trip to Costa Rica, and mixed in with
veggies, all cooked in clay pot, and washed down with a couple of brewskis.

Great day.

Sounds like a blast. Hope to see some pics from that new D70 on a.b.p.s.o.

--
John H.

"Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it."
Rene Descartes