Gene Cosloy

Default Cold Weather Paddling

I'm relatively new to the sport and would like some advise on hand
warmth for cold weather. I live in the Boston area and have been out
on the rivers when the air is as low as 40F without hand protection. I
think when it dips below this and windy I will need something. Are
pogies, the answer, and are the simple nylon ones sufficient or do I
need the heavier neoprene kind. Or should I consider the neoprene
gloves?

Gene
martins

Hi Gene
I've tried all sorts of cold weather hand protection. Gloves separate my
fingers so they are not as warm, but are good for wind, and you can play the
paddle shaft and they work with greenland sticks. Mittens are warmer than
gloves, can still play the paddle, but I tend to wear them out fast. The
Neo Pogies are very warm. (I have a pair of the black Mambas)Make my hands
sweat even with ice forming on the paddle and on the boat as you paddle. the
sweatty palm syndrom makes my paddle slipery. My favorite for real cold
weather are the Stolquist Yellow Jackets (nylon/fleece) Pogies Roll out of
the way and snap so they are not flopping around on the paddle if I don't
quite need them. handy as I chill. The drawback to pogies is that even tho
you can slide them some on the paddle shaft (if you have a straight shaft
paddle) they tend to be the easiest to use by having your hands stay in the
same position on the paddle, if you have a crank shaft paddle they most
certainly work very well as you tend to not play the shaft as you would on
either a straight shaft or on a greenland paddle. Pogies will work on a
greenland paddle if the loom is either long enough that you can put them on
between the shoulders and still not be too pinched together with your hands
to paddle or if you have a non-shouldered paddle with a very easy transition
and the pogies that you get have enough to encircle some of the transition
spot of the loom/blade. Pogies don't work with storm paddles.

Best wishes in all things
Roy

"Gene Cosloy" wrote in message
om...
I'm relatively new to the sport and would like some advise on hand
warmth for cold weather. I live in the Boston area and have been out
on the rivers when the air is as low as 40F without hand protection. I
think when it dips below this and windy I will need something. Are
pogies, the answer, and are the simple nylon ones sufficient or do I
need the heavier neoprene kind. Or should I consider the neoprene
gloves?

Gene

Peter Unold

Hi

On 20 Nov 2003 09:37:16 -0800, Gene Cosloy wrote:

[...]
Are pogies, the answer, and are the simple nylon ones sufficient or do
I need the heavier neoprene kind. Or should I consider the neoprene
gloves?

My prefered setup in the winter is a combination of cheap lightweight
nylon pogies along with neoprene mitts(not gloves).
The mitts can be seen he
http://www.dakine.com/images/xlg/4400600_xlg.jpg

Neoprene pogies are nice and warm as long as you hold the paddle - and
only then.

regards Peter at 56°10.18'N 10°12.00'E
Gene Cosloy

"martins" wrote in message ...
[...]

Hi Roy,
Thanks for the information: You stated:
"My favorite for real cold weather are the Stolquist Yellow Jackets
(nylon/fleece) Pogies " I've not had much luck searching the net for a
store or supplier of these . Do you have any advise on where I could
get a pair?

Gene Cosloy

martins

Hi Gene