Red Red is offline

Default Clean Boating Act of 2008

Looks like we all need to support this bill - unless we wish to be
regulated
to death by the EPA.

Claus

Not having read it yet, and knowing full well the shananigans Senators
like to play, I am wondering if it doesn't contain language that will
screw us in some other way. Does Boat US have a synopsis on this version?

Red

March 19, 2008

I received the following email today from BoatUS:

---------------------- quote ----------------------------

Dear BoatUS Member,

We need your help now to pass NEW federal legislation in the Senate that
would provide a permanent exemption for recreational boats from the upcoming
EPA discharge permit requirement. Remember that if we don't get legislation
passed, we all need to get EPA permits to operate our boats effective
9/30/08!

We appreciate the time that many of you have already taken to let your
Senators or Representatives know your support of S. 2067 or HR 2550 "The
Recreational Boating Act of 2007." Now there is a new Senate Bill #2766 "The
Clean Boating Act of 2008", which is more politically viable, and our best
chance to eliminate the permit requirement before it comes in effect on
September 30, 2008.

Please pick up the phone or email today and ask your Senators to sponsor and
vote YES for S 2766. Although Congress is on recess this week and next, we
need their staff to hear from us so that this bill can move as soon as the
Senators are back in Washington.

Remember to contact both of your Senators:
(Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Oregon, Washington)

---------------------------- unquote -----------------------------

Looks like we all need to support this bill - unless we wish to be regulated
to death by the EPA.

Claus

Bob Bob is offline

On Mar 18, 2:06*pm, Red wrote:
Looks like we all need to support this bill - unless we wish to be
regulated
to death by the EPA.

Claus

Not having read it yet, and knowing full well the shananigans Senators
like to play, I am wondering if it doesn't contain language that will
screw us in some other way. Does Boat US have a synopsis on this version?

Red

So tell me again why I should support this boatus anti clean water
effort?

Bob

Bob wrote:

So tell me again why I should support this boatus anti clean water
effort?

Because the bill says that all recreational boaters will need to eat
their own turds. While that may be ok with you, think of the other guy.

Support it??? I am unsure what the bill is about. Is it engine emmissions?
Or is it waste (holding Tank) dumping? Why would I support a bill that
allows boaters (recreational or otherwise) to dump their turds into the
waterways that our children swin in and we fish for our dinner in?? With
the number of recreational boaters on our waterways... disgusting.

Perhaps one should post the bill, in it's entirity, before asking for
support.

Cindy

"Paul Cassel" wrote in message
. ..
Bob wrote:

So tell me again why I should support this boatus anti clean water
effort?

Because the bill says that all recreational boaters will need to eat their
own turds. While that may be ok with you, think of the other guy.

"Cindy" wrote in message
. ..
Support it??? I am unsure what the bill is about. Is it engine
emmissions? Or is it waste (holding Tank) dumping? Why would I support a
bill that allows boaters (recreational or otherwise) to dump their turds
into the waterways that our children swin in and we fish for our dinner
in?? With the number of recreational boaters on our waterways...
disgusting.

Perhaps one should post the bill, in it's entirity, before asking for
support.

Cindy

Stop being just another an ignorant twit, Cindy. Certainly YOU are capable
of finding and reading the legislation of concern on-line. But, since you
women are consistently inept when it comes to this sort of thing and you
tend to react with emotions rather than logic mostly because logic is a
foreign concept to most women, I shall render a concise summary for your
benefit.

The legislation (that all recreational boaters should support) excludes
recreational boaters from draconian discharge legislation already in place
whereby some law makers wish to include all recreational boats but has as
its original intent to regulate discharge from shipping where there is a
valid reason for such legislation. Due to the language of the requirements
for shipping, recreational boaters would not be allowed to discharge
ANYTHING into the surrounding waters. In other words you could not discharge
water you used to wash your deck, or dishes, or your body. You could not
throw food scraps into the water to feed the fishes. NOTHING could be
allowed to come from your boat - even clean bilge water and be allowed to go
into the surrounding water. You would have to have a holding tank for
everything.

The sewage issue is already covered and enforced by other existing state and
federal legislation. This potential new legislation is another layer on top
of that.

And for this stupidity you would be required to buy and display a sticker
that would cost you around 100 to 150 dollars a year. If you did not buy and
display the sticker you could be subject to large fines or have your boat
confiscated.Just another tax! Just more Big Brother tactics. And another law
that could not be enforced and would not be enforced due to lack of manpower
but a good way to raise revenue to fatten the paychecks of the bureaucrats.

Does this help your fluff-headed understanding of the situation? If not
consider you might have a small recreational skiff of say 18 feet in length.
You enjoy going out fishing or just cruising around seeing the sights or
sunbathing and having a beer or two and some barbeque. You anchor and go
swimming. But you won't be allowed to stand on the transom and wash your
hair or your body because some soap or shampoo would end up in the water.
You would not be able to toss any food scraps to the fish or seagulls. You
would not be able to pump your bilge or empty the water from your live well
tanks. You would not be able to wash the suntan oil off the deck even with
biodegradable soap. You would not be able to discharge anything from your
skill. And for this idiocy you would be paying big bucks for a sticker that
is nothing more than a tax.

Now, run along and do your nails or something . . .

Wilbur Hubbard

In article s.com,
"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote:

Now, run along and do your nails or something . . .

Actually not discharging anything is standard over here in old Europe,
at least most parts.

Marc

--
remove bye and from mercial to get valid e-mail
http://www.heusser.com

"Marc Heusser" d wrote in
message ...
In article s.com,
"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote:

Now, run along and do your nails or something . . .

Actually not discharging anything is standard over here in old Europe,
at least most parts.

Marc

But do you have to buy an expensive sticker that does NOTHING towards making
the water cleaner? It's good common sense to be a responsible steward of the
waters and most boaters are. But to charge a heavy fee that does NOTHING but
fatten the bureaucratic paycheck is criminal in my opinion. How about firing
a hundred or so bureaucrats and use their salaries to put in place a public
education system that teaches responsible stewardship of our planet??

Wilbur Hubbard

Gee Wilbur, You sound like an obnoxious crabby old SOB that hates women. And
you accuse women of reacting with emotion. I posed the question because the
group was asked to support a bill with out any link to the bill. If someone
is asking for my support then *they* should privide all of the facts.

I sure hope for women everywhere that you are gay.

Cindy

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
anews.com...

"Cindy" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Thank you Roger,
It is all I asked of claus or the group and seemed to set Wilbur in a woman
hating tizzy.
"Roger Long" wrote in message
Here is the executive version:

Another of the stupid laws congress passed without reading the bill
themselves or considering the consequences (being too busy raising money
for the next election) currently mandates and requires that the EPA bring
all recreational vessels into the same discharge permit system as
commercial vessels and ships. This is discharge of ANYTHING, i.e., your
dish water, shower drain, even the run off from your decks which carries
the dirt and pollutants congress and the nation allow with other bills to
be poured into the air. When this stuff lands on your deck, it suddenly
becomes a pollutant when rain and spray carry it into the water.

This will have nothing to do with cleaning up the water or keeping it
clean. EPA will simply be required to have every vessel carry a piece of
paper stating that they it is a permit for the incidental discharges. The
feds will probably delegate this job to the states who will knee jerk,
budget crunch - rich people on boats - income stream - big fee. Since the
feds are not going to have to administer the system, they will probably
load up the permit requirements with required submission of estimates of
discharge, discharge plan, another decal to paste somewhere on the vessel,
expensive data collection and reporting requirements for the states that
will further drive up fees and state costs.

Meanwhile, it will be illegal to operate your boat without a permit that
doesn't exist yet. Homeland Security will love having all those
troublesome boats tied up. DHS will suddenly realize that this permit can
be a way to get the national boater ID that they so badly want in the back
door the same way they are trying to turn drivers licenses into a national
ID card that wouldn't be tolerated if presented that way.

The bill Boat US is backing contains language that could eventually bring
along something even stupider but it does buy time for the boat lobby to
get the attention of the cone heads on the hill. If the bill does not
pass, the above nightmare, which is ALREADY LAW, will go into force soon.

--
Roger Long

So this is 2008... Short Wave Sportfishing General 25 January 3rd 08 01:18 AM
Hillary In 2008 gonefishiing ASA 57 November 9th 04 12:58 AM
2008 Eisboch General 13 November 8th 04 09:09 PM