Parallax

Default Useful gadgets

After many yrs of being a cheapskate sailor sailing without the
expensive gadgets thayt many other ppl have, I now find myself able to
afford to buy some of the gadgets I used to shun. All those yrs of
making do without has colored my thought processes so I naturally
avoid gadgetry. However, my recent installation of roller furling
really made sailing easier so I am reconsidering my attitude toward
gadgets. I would like input from other ppl on what gadgets really
make sailing better and what ones are simply a techno-pain in the ass.

For example: GPS is a necessity but I will keep my paper charts and
hand compass. Depthsounder is necessary. Permanently mounted VHF
necessary.

So:

Knotlog- really useful or does the reading off the GPS suffice?
Handheld VHF- useful or not?
Electronic masthead windmeter (I'd like one but am doubtful about its
robustness)- useful or not?
Radar- Takes too much power I think for a sailboat.
Lazy jacks- (I am sure I can make my own) but really useful or not?
Any other useful things?
Argonauta

Good to keep the paper charts. As you know, an onboard electronics
failure won't affect the paper charts one iota. I'm all for high tech
gadgets as long as the ones used for essential tasks have backups. As
for the others:

Knotlog - something else to clean under the waterline. The little
impellers seem to attract the most interesting growth. Useful for DR if
you don't want to be dependent on GPS.

Handheld VHF - A NECESSESITY. This is not only a backup to your main
VHF, but it should go on any dinghy trips ashore. This could be a life
saver if your dinghy motor doesn't work and the right conditions of wind
or current keep you from being able to get back safely.

Electronic masthead windmeter - much more accurate than deck level
instruments. Usually includes wind direction indicator also. Handy for
bragging about the strength of that storm...

Radar - I have never had one because of the power requirements. But for
long offshore passages it would be good for a short handed crew to get
some sleep. As mentioned in another response, the newer radar units
sleep and pop-up for a few sweeps. A good trade off for the amp hours
used. This is on my wish list.

Lazyjacks - This really depends on how unmanagable your main is when you
take it down. If the frustration level gets high enough, you will want
these. If you do fine without, then why add the extra lines to get in
the way? It's all a matter of convenience. I installed them, then
removed them later. Live and learn...

Other gadgets:

HF Ham Radio - If you cruise outside the US I would strongly suggest
getting your General class amateur radio license. This provides
communications capability "back home". It is nice to be able to keep in
touch with family while voyaging. Also, with a computer you can use one
of the many free email gateway stations around the globe and send and
receive email with family and friends. This can also serve as a backup
to marine SSB radio. Since the HF radio can receive usually from below
1MHz to 30 MHz or above, this also serves as a high seas forcast
receiver, AM broadcast radio, weatherfax receiver (with computer and
software), plus, you can listen to international news broadcasts and
keep up to date on the headlines.

Computer - In addition to the uses with the HF radio, if you have a
hankering to write while aboard then have at it. Also handy for storing
and editing the digital photos you have been taking along the way.

Digital camera - Why mess with film and developing? Even Kodak has
realized that film is not a good business to be in. You can email the
photos of each leg of your voyage to family and friends as you go. Use
an internet cafe to send the photos. (HF email is suitable for text
only, due to the low speed.)

Lots of other fun stuff, but wallet, waterline, and living space become
the controlling factors.

Parallax wrote:
[...]

Jere Lull

In article ,
(Parallax) wrote:

I would like input from other ppl on what gadgets really
make sailing better and what ones are simply a techno-pain in the ass.

For example: GPS is a necessity but I will keep my paper charts and
hand compass. Depthsounder is necessary. Permanently mounted VHF
necessary.

So:

Knotlog- really useful or does the reading off the GPS suffice?

More useful than GPS for determining whether you are trimming correctly.
They read pretty much instantly. In combination with the GPS, will give
you at least a rough estimation of current. (properly interfaced, I
believe the GPS can figure it out pretty accurately.) I still count ours
as more valuable than the GPS, which is usually also on.

Handheld VHF- useful or not?

Very. The next best would be a fixed VHF with remote controls & channel
display on the handset. We often monitor two channels at once and
scanning between two, particularly if one is 16, is not as effective.

A remote speaker (the larger the better) in the cockpit really improves
clarity.

Electronic masthead windmeter (I'd like one but am doubtful about its
robustness)- useful or not?

Nice toy. Seem to be lightning attractors.

Radar- Takes too much power I think for a sailboat.

Vital in some areas; handy in others; almost useless to us. I think we
could have effectively used ours twice in probably 1000 days on the
water. Then again, friends' units gave us timely warning of approaching
squall lines that could have wreaked havoc to our rafted boats.

Lazy jacks- (I am sure I can make my own) but really useful or not?

More hassle than they're worth on a boat under about 40'.

Any other useful things?

Autopilot. Ours allows me to actually enjoy 16 hour travel days. Many
days I'll sail at 2-4 knots under sail, or hoist the chute, with Otto
doing the steering. Without that help, I would probably fire up the iron
genny.

Permanently mounted compass. The handheld has its uses, but nothing
beats being able to see your course at a glance.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's Pages:

Ken Heaton

Comments below:

"Argonauta" wrote in message
Good to keep the paper charts. As you know, an onboard electronics
failure won't affect the paper charts one iota. I'm all for high tech
gadgets as long as the ones used for essential tasks have backups. As
for the others:

Knotlog - something else to clean under the waterline. The little
impellers seem to attract the most interesting growth. Useful for DR if
you don't want to be dependent on GPS.

There are two types of sensors for Knotlogs, one fairly new I think, that
uses electronics to determine haw fast water flows over the sensor surface
and has no paddlewheel or other moving parts. I saw something in SAIL about
them last year I believe.
The old tried and true paddlewheel sensor type can be set in a type of thru
hull that allows you to remove it while the boat is in the water to clean it
without sinking the boat.
Most removable sensors can be removed and a plug screwed in place without
letting too much water in, depending on ease access in the bilge and how
quick you are of course.

On 24 Jan 2004 09:18:25 -0800, (Parallax)
wrote:

Knotlog- really useful or does the reading off the GPS suffice?

Yes, GPSes are cheap enough to have one for the boat and another for
the crash box. The boat one is mounted in a bendy suction cup thingie
that runs a 12 V fused line to ship's power, because they eat AA batts
for breakfast. The bendy mount thing, instead of being suctioned to
the bridgedeck or the bulkhead (too much motion for that on my boat)
is lashed to an old gooseneck lamp extender that pivots into the
companionway. When I need it, I deploy it so that I can read it from
where I sit or stand at the tiller. When I don't, I fold the gooseneck
back onto its mount and lash it down tidily. Works for me and is dead
cheap.

Handheld VHF- useful or not?

Yes. I use the submersible Standard Horizon 260S I got a few years ago
much more than I use the base unit, because when I want to gam with
nearly vessels, it's right there, with its lanyard clipped via a light
carbiner (the $1.50 type used for keys and such) to a hard point in
the cockpit. I checked out remote speakers and channel-display mics
for the base unit, but they cost just as much as the handheld, and
couldn't go with me in the Zodiac when the wind was too calm for
sailing and I wanted to bomb around the Island.

Electronic masthead windmeter (I'd like one but am doubtful about its
robustness)- useful or not?

I like it but they are expensive and delicate if you pull your mast
every year like me. Upon reflection I would just buy a handheld,
although my refurbished ElectroMarine analog meters look extremely
salty in the cockpit at night. I have apparent wind direction, wind
speed and a knotmeter.

If I raced my boat I would want them more, but I mostly cruise AS IF
I'm racing (I race on other boats...far cheaper and less stressful!)

Radar- Takes too much power I think for a sailboat.

This is utterly dependant I think on your location, your style of
sailing and your ability to keep watch. For a daysailer in familiar
waters not prone to fog, it's a frill, but a nice one. In areas of
sudden weather changes, heavy commercial traffic or offshore passages,
it's a lifesaver. I am thinking particularly of the proximity alarms
that can be rigged to give you time to change course if Big
Undermanned Tankers are closing on your position.

Lazy jacks- (I am sure I can make my own) but really useful or not?

If you single-hand, sure, but not necessary. And yes, it's pretty
simple to rig your own for under $100 and a little time drilling and
riveting.

Any other useful things?

A Koolatron with a blanket over it (except for the exhaust fan) is
easier than ice or a fridge on board. Take off, load from the home
fridge or beer store, take aboard, plug into the 12 V and enjoy...
They draw about three amps.

Other useful stuff: engine alarms (oil pressure, water temp.);
bulletproof bilge pump setup (no chance of dry cycling); manual
windlass (if you anchor out a lot), a headlamp with three or four
bright LEDs (*VERY* handy at night or deep in the sail locker looking
for a dropped tool)l those dollar-store closet dome lights powered by
four AA batteries (use in lockers, nav station, engine
compartment--bright enough to see by but dim enough not to wake the
boat); a propane/gas sniffer with a solenoid cutoff, a CO detector.

R.

Rodney Myrvaagnes

wrote:

After many yrs of being a cheapskate sailor sailing without the
expensive gadgets thayt many other ppl have, I now find myself able to
afford to buy some of the gadgets I used to shun. All those yrs of
making do without has colored my thought processes so I naturally
avoid gadgetry. However, my recent installation of roller furling
really made sailing easier so I am reconsidering my attitude toward
gadgets. I would like input from other ppl on what gadgets really
make sailing better and what ones are simply a techno-pain in the ass.

For example: GPS is a necessity but I will keep my paper charts and
hand compass. Depthsounder is necessary. Permanently mounted VHF
necessary.

So:

My idiosyncratic answers:

I have used good and bad roller furlers, but hanks are for me. If we
had a rig with a big foretriangle and postage stamp main, a roller
would be a necessity for an elderly couple like us, but with a
fractional, big-main rig no way.

Knotlog- really useful or does the reading off the GPS suffice?

GPS suffices for practical stuff, but the knotmeter tells how fast you
are sailing. We allow ourselves a bottle of bubbly when we sail over
10 knots (in a 23-year old keel boat).

Handheld VHF- useful or not?

Useful backup when the mounted one goes down. I wouldn't be without
it.
Electronic masthead windmeter (I'd like one but am doubtful about its
robustness)- useful or not?

Nice, but I haven't fixed ours since it broke two years ago.

Radar- Takes too much power I think for a sailboat.

In New England I wouldn't be without it. Depends where you are. We
sailed without radar for 30 years, but the last 14 seasons were enough
to convince me. Not only do I want a radar, I want the screen at the
helm, not below.

Lazy jacks- (I am sure I can make my own) but really useful or not?

Not to me. I bought an expensive Harken lazyjzcks kit when we bought
Gjo/a in 1989, but after dealing with them on OPBs I never installed
it. Our main is 47-ft hoist, 15 feet foot. If it were a lot bigger, I
might rethink the matter.

Any other useful things?

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Wanting to meet a writer because you like his work is like wanting to meet a duck because you like pate."
Margaret Atwood