Argonauta

Default Useful gadgets

Ken Heaton wrote:
without sinking the boat.
Most removable sensors can be removed and a plug screwed in place without
letting too much water in, depending on ease access in the bilge and how
quick you are of course.

I always dreaded cleaning the impeller because I guess I wasn't quick
enough to keep from getting everything in the vacinity of the sender
wet. It's amazing how much water can come through a 2 inch hole 3.5
feet below the waterline, even if just for a second.

Leanne

Or coastal cruising at night.

Leanne

"Rodney Myrvaagnes" wrote in message

OK, I'll reluctantly forgo the windmeter. Will get the GPS,

hand held
VHF and maybe the knotlog. At least the knotlog will fill the

space
left by the old one that has never worked for the 12 yrs I

have owned
my boat. I have always had a permanently mounted compass and

hand
compass (ok, 2 hand compasses). GPS chart plotters seem sorta

silly
since I imagine its hard to get a good overview of your entire

area
and planned course. Besides, I just like the excercise in

trig in
plotting my position (normally use hand compass, knotstik

towed spd
indicator, and paper charts to do coastal nav, till now, DR

and Loran
out of sight of any marks). I suspected the lazy jacks were

not
really worthwhile which is why I never made them. As far as

Radar and
battery banks, I have two batteries, a 25 watt solar panel and

no
access to shore power for charging although the diesel does a

good job
of that. I do have an old Autohelm autopilot that I love for
loooooooong trips. My sailing is primarily coastal cruising.

Sounds reasonable enough, if you are sailing in a never-foggy

area.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC

J36 Gjo/a

"Wanting to meet a writer because you like his work is like

wanting to meet a duck because you like pate."
Margaret Atwood

Harlan Lachman

In article , Parallax
wrote:

After many yrs of being a cheapskate sailor sailing without the
expensive gadgets thayt many other ppl have, I now find myself able to
afford to buy some of the gadgets I used to shun. All those yrs of
making do without has colored my thought processes so I naturally
avoid gadgetry. However, my recent installation of roller furling
really made sailing easier so I am reconsidering my attitude toward
gadgets. I would like input from other ppl on what gadgets really
make sailing better and what ones are simply a techno-pain in the ass.

For example: GPS is a necessity but I will keep my paper charts and
hand compass.

Take a look at the various units. Look at the software and how it
looks, especially in daylight. I like the Garmin units but there are
lots of reviews touting different reasons for different brands. The
only way to see what works for you is to see them. A good GPS can
change the way you sail. Really.

Depthsounder is necessary. Permanently mounted VHF
necessary.

So:

Knotlog- really useful or does the reading off the GPS suffice?
Handheld VHF- useful or not?

Critical. Belts and suspenders. If you have problems with your power
your fixed VHF don't work. If something goes wrong, if you go ashore
and want to call for a launch, one of the tiny handhelds is great and a
great safety device.

Electronic masthead windmeter (I'd like one but am doubtful about its
robustness)- useful or not?
Radar- Takes too much power I think for a sailboat.

If you sail in areas with fog (e.g., coast of Maine) sailing without
one is selfish and a disservice to all on the water around you.

Lazy jacks- (I am sure I can make my own) but really useful or not?

If you ever single hand or have inexperienced crew, one of the kindest
things you can do. I have em on a 20 foot daysailer and they make
single handing easy, reefing a breeze, and taking guests simple.

Harlan
Any other useful things?

--
Tro respond, obviously drop the nospam!

Parallax

Harlan Lachman wrote in message .net...
In article , Parallax
wrote:

[...]

Guests are there to work and I take pains to dispel any notion of
sailing being romantic.

In fog, or at least when I see it coming, I take a quick bearing so I
know where I am, note my course and get out of the channel if any and
put up the radar reflector. I rarely see other traffic where I sail
but in fog I sound the horn and sit it out, sometimes for hours. I
still think Radar is just an expensive gadget for a small (28')
sailboat.

Armond Perretta

Parallax wrote:

In fog, or at least when I see it coming, I take a quick bearing so
I know where I am, note my course and get out of the channel if any
and put up the radar reflector ...

You cannot know where you _are_ with a single bearing. You can, however,
get a good idea of where you are _not_.

I rarely see other traffic where I
sail but in fog I sound the horn and sit it out, sometimes for
hours ...

Sounding the horn while "sitting it out" is a violation of the COLREGS. Use
a bell at anchor, and a horn underway. Make sure you study the sound
signals that apply to your specific situation and to your particular vessel.

I still think Radar is just an expensive gadget for a small (28')
sailboat....

If you ask a fisherman's opinion about this, you may get an enlightening
perspective (isn't that what "Parallax" is about anyway?). Any person who
regularly operates a vessel without radar in situations of decreased
visibility (and I include rain and darkness in this category) is in essence
taking the position that "its up to the other guy to avoid me."

These days there is no excuse to behave so irresponsibly.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat